east africa safari guides????????

Jan 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

east africa safari guides????????

we are planning on going to tanzania in april this year and would like to know if anyone has traveled with "east africa safari and touring company" our travel agent has recommended them for a private guided safari but we are having trouble finding information about them.this is our first trip overseas so any advice would be greatful.
thanks
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM

never heard of them which doesn't necessarily mean that they are no good. but do check out their crecentials such as bonding etc ...
Jan 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks, sorry to sound stupid but until i spoke to my agent we didnt know about private tours. What is bonding?
Jan 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Bonding means that your money is protected from fraud and misuse. It is a form of insurance paid by them that protects you. As for a private safari, it is the only way to go. I don't know the company recommended (but they are probably fine). Google them for info, check ststus with KATO (Kenya Association of Tour Operators) or its counterpart in Tanzania, as well as ASTA for membership and/ or complaints. You might also want to check out listings on other sites and compare prices/itineries. Remember with a "private safari" you choose the amount of time spent and which parks you want to visit. Don't let anyone push you into a packaged tour (unless it is exactly what you want.
Jan 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Can you get references from others who have traveled with them?

Why don't you post the itinerary and cost here. There may be other alternatives that are well known and reputable.
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Look through the East Africa trip report index http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283

I believe there are a few reports from those who used EASTCO.

The Tanzanian equivalent of KATO is www.tatotz.org
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks patty we really dont think we will use these guys i cant find 1 positive report from these guys. any recommendations of tour groups that we could find alot of info on instead. to everyone else if anyone has a positive experience with them please let us know. ps they arent listed on tato
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

forgot to say guys ultimately we will book our tour through our travel agent not the net. dont know if that makes a difference with which tour companies are best
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM

OK, perhaps I should try and help.

Many of the posts about Eastco are historic (from 2005, etc). Things have changed at least as far as I am concerned.

I know one of the owners. Simon hosted me in 2008 at their lodge (Boundary Hill) and we had a great evening swapping safari stories.

I am sure EASTCO will take good care of you. Just make sure your agent is experienced enough to design and communicate your safari with Eastco. Once booked, you can try to contact Eastco direct to make sure they understand your needs and interests.
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Hi Pippyvic,
I have been on safari with EASTCO on two occasions. My first trip was the northern circuit in 2004 and the last was the southern circuit in 2007. Both safaris were excellent. They were very well organized and I had the same guide, Bernard, on both occasions. You can contact Simon King directly and arrange your safari through him. The website is http://www.eastafricansafari.info/
Steve