Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: Mother and daughter trip: Suggestions Please-:)

Old Jun 12th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Travel experts,
We have never been to this part of the world. My daughter and I have decided to visit Dubai and any surrounding areas suggested by those of you in the know! Travel will be in January.

What part of Dubai should we look for a hotel? On a quick scan it appears that we should be able to find multiple choices for under the $200 USD per night range. Are there any particular hotels or areas you suggest? I understand this is an enormous city - it was described to me as NYC on steroids....

I sure would love to hear from any of you with tips, suggestions etc... area of the city which we should stay? I think we should be able to navigate this on our own without taking a "tour" right?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Jun 29th, 2019, 04:42 AM

I have been to Dubai few times and I would like to visit again. The weather in January is fantastic. We used Airbnb, which was 100$ per night and location was near to the metro in Dubai Marina. "Tour" would be not necessary and you can plan ahead before you travel.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:03 AM

January is a great time to visit. Their is the shopping festival around that time and it's great time to be there. I would suggest you book your hotel in Bur Dubai or Deira, you will find some good hotels under your budget. You can look for some apps or website like TripAdvisor, shofey or Agoda that provide a good discount.
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 06:22 AM

I love Dubai but I'm not a fan of Bur Dubai or Deira.
I prefer Madinat Jumeirah or Dubai Marina. The latter location is a bit further away but taxis are cheap and hotels are luxurious but less expensive than in Madinat Jumeirah.
No need for a tour. You can easily explore the city (which is long stretched but narrow) on yourself by metro/tram or taxi. And in January it's not too hot to walk.

In case you're interested in Arabic culture, visit Jumeirah Mosque with a guide and eat a local meal at the Arabian Tea House (book both at Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding). Walk in Bastakiya which is the oldest neighbourhood and visit Al Fahidi Fort (Dubai Museum).