Driving time between Hluhluwe and Durban airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the approximate time it is likely to take to get from Hluhluwe (Hilltop) to Durban airport ? Our flight to Capetown is at 14.05. We will have stayed in the park for a couple of nights prior to this and thought we would aim to leave early on our last morning for the drive to Durban. Am I correct in thinking that the distance is 300km approx so if we leave Hilltop at 6am we should have ample time to get to the airport?

Thanks,

Gaynor
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM

If I recall correctly, its around three hours. I did the drive in July 2006, and I had a later flight from Durban, so I was able to stop in St. Lucia on my way between Hluhluwe and Durban Airport. If you leave at 6:00 am, you will be there in plenty of time. You can probably leave closer to 8:30am - 9:00am and be there with time to spare.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Three hours is about right. Get some advice on the traffic situation though. I think Durban airport is to the south of Durban and Hluhluwe is north.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM

I just did that drive last month and it was slightly less than three hours. Also, stay on the D4 Highway going into Durban, less traffic and goes directly to the airport. There are no signs for the airport until you are about one mile away. Once you turn off, it is easy to get to the airport, easy to drop a rental car and even easier to check in. Total time for me was ten minutes mid-morning.

You would be okay to leave by 9:30-there is not much to see or any ocean views until you get near Ballito.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM

I can't recall ever hearing of a D4 highway. There might be, it's many years since I lived in Durban and I don't have a map to hand. Although I'm at this very moment in my Ballito holiday apartment wondering when the sky is going to clear! It's been raining off and on since I arrived here Saturday.

Probably what is meant is the N2. That's the main coastal highway and it bypasses central Durban. My guess is that the OP already knows that, and was just looking for the distance and timing.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM

There is of course an M4, that's the old coastal road that runs from Ballito to the Durban beachfront and city centre.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much ! It seems that I will have plenty of time.

Gaynor