Johannesburg Airport - connecting through to CPT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were lucky enough to get one free ticket to JNB from JFK. However, we are starting our trip in CPT so we will need to book a separate ticket from JNB to CPT later that day.

Our plan is to check the 2 suitcases all the way through on my JFK to CPT itinerary, so in theory what my fiance would have to do would be to clear customs, check into SAA for the flight and continue. How much time should I budget for all of this? Has anyone done this before?

There was no availability with FF to go JFK to CPT which would have saved us the trouble.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

might I add, I am assuming that I will need to exit the international terminal and walk(?) to the domestic terminal based on the map I've seen.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM

On your flight JFK (JNB) CPT - though the bags will be tagged thru to CPT, on arrival JNB, you have to clear Immigration, collect your bags and recheck them for the ongoing domestic flight to CPT.

Immigration could go quickly or not, depending on how many planes landing at the same time. By then, bags should be on the carousel where you collect and recheck. Walk to domestic is short.

How much time do yu have between arriving JNB and departing for CPT? Hours?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM
sniktawk

You cannot book your baggage through to Cape Town, all incoming baggage has to cleared through customs at the airport of arrival i.e O R Tambo.
Allow at least two hours for the connection, in case of delays on incoming flight. The domestic terminal is in a seperate building allow around 15 minutes including the walk, for this.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

perfect - so it looks like even with the international flight I will have (JFK - CPT) we'll still have to do the baggage thing together so I will just plan accordingly.

the flight option on SAA for the JFK to CPT allows an hour and half connection, but I can book a 2 or 3 hour layover. I think I'll opt for that and then we can have dinner at the airport since once we arrive in CPT at 10:10 we'll be ready to sleep!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM

That's up to you.

As is obvious there are regular flights between JNB/CPT. But if you feel more comfortable with 2/hrs over 1.5/hrs, do it.

If the inbound from the States is on time, you don't need more than 2hrs and will probably have time to spare.

We made the 7pm JNB/CPT, it's a 2/hr flights and we were at hotel before 10pm. I immediately showered and off to sleep. Was ready bright and early next morning. Jetlag didn't hit till 5/days later in Botswana... but that's a different story.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Jed

Which airline are you taking JNB-CPT? If you are taking SAA from JFK to JNB, and book with them to CPT, then you wouldn't have to worry about connections.

We took Virgin JFK-JNB, then 1time air JNB-CPT. Very cheap.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

taking SAA but I think even if we book JFK to CPT, we still have to do all the picking up and re-checking in according to my boss who is from CPT. she seemed to think it's not as likely they would hold the plane or anything given that there are other flights after.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM

The Immigration and luggage claim on entering SA is the same as when entering the US.

Unless your US point of entry is your final destination, you clear Immigration, collect your bags, recheck them and connect to your ongoing flight, i.e, to Cleveland!