DRIVING SOUTH AFRICA

Oct 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

DRIVING SOUTH AFRICA

If I am driving throughout South Africa, is it possible to drive to a reserve, take a day tour and leave? I cannot afford to stay in the lodges mentioned above. Are there any resonable accommodations within the park or close to the parks?
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM

www.sanparks.org (The official website, as opposed to the many commercial ones.)
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM

And www.kznwildlife.com for the KwaZulu-Natal parks.
Oct 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM

All the reasonable accomodations are within the parks. The lodges mentioned in many posts are in the Sabi Sands, a small, exclusive area adjacent to Kruger, but the game viewing in Kruger is as good, if not better, than that in the Sabi Sands, at a fraction of the price.

ArthurSA's second link will take you to the lodging in Hluhluwe, where I am visiting next Summer, and Hilltop Camp has a good reputation and is reasonable.

You can self drive in a 2WD car in both Kruger (check ArthurSA's first link) or Hluhluwe (his second link).

And you will stay IN the parks.
Oct 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM

As Thit_cho mentions, there are a lot of VERY reasonable accommodations within the parks - in the government run rest camps.

For example, these are the prices from last year (I was summing them up for a travel article I wrote on my return).

For those on the tightest budgets camping charges are about 100 Rand per night. SAN Parks charge from 160 to 270 Rand for huts and tents with shared facilities, 395 to 540 Rand for bungalows with private bathrooms and shared or private kitchens. Prices are based on 1-2 sharing with additional fees charged for extra guests. Two bedroomed bungalows and family cottages sleeping up to 4 people cost from 600-870 Rand per night.

KZN have categorised their accommodation according to price and level of comfort and recommend Camping And Caravanning to those on a really tight budget or the Marula Collection to visitors looking for affordable permanent accommodation. The Yellowwood Collection presents select comfortable accommodation and top class restaurant facilities and the Red Ivory Collection includes exclusive lodges providing superb cuisine and safari activities. Their representatives will help you to find a solution within your budget.

Each park also imposes a conservation fee charged for each night in the park.
Oct 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM

knitcrazy,
let us know where you will initiate and terminate your journey. SA is a big country, takes three days to drive from Cape Town to the limpopo.
just on three days to drive from east london to vioolsdrift. And there is plenty to to see on the way.

What are your interests? What do you want to get out of the trip?

I will be happy to advise, however could probably wright a book on places to visit, things to see and do.

And in closing: Yes all of SANPs parks have inexpensive, neat and clean accommodation facilities. Most rest camps have restaurants and shops.
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM

And OT but responding to your handle, my Significant Other is also knitting crazy, and died and went to heaven in a wool shop inside one of the V & A waterfront buildings in CPT. Prices and selection that made her sweet brain seize. Only for a second, then she proceeded to require us to repack a couple of suitcases so we could stuff in skeins and packets oh my. You are warned.

Search this Thread