Best Things About Tanzania?

Oct 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Best Things About Tanzania?

Okay, I find myself in an interesting position and need to sell the idea of a Tanzanian safari to my dear wife, Alexsandra.

In the past she has not been too thrilled about safaris in Southern Africa, largely in part to the open vehicles and the small planes used for air transfers. Given the fact that the northern circuit of Tanzania will feature no light air transfers (not until the end when I would fly Seronera to Zanzibar) and the safari vehicles are closed, I do think that is a step in the right direction.

Other selling points of Tanzania? I have made a list of things that may help "sell" Tanzania, just five months after we returned from Zambia. If anyone can add to the list I will be most appreciative!

1. Cradle Of Mankind. If human life first did exist in Tanzania near the Olduvai Gorge, then for a Christian, this area would be considered the Garden Of Eden. I don't know if I can say this with a straight face.

2. #1 Destination In The World As Rated By Conde Nast Traveler Readers - Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, where we are booked for two nights.

3. No small planes during entire safari. I don't think the plane from Seronera to Zanzibar would be especially small either, what, about a 12 seater minimum?

4. Closed safari vehicles. Lions, elephants and other wildlife will be much less threatening.

5. Stone Town. Alex is Middle Eastern and this may be very interesting culturally for her to spend a couple nights in Stone Town at the Emerson & Green.

6. Palms Zanzibar. This place just looks awesome. Who wouldn't love this place?
http://www.palms-zanzibar.com/

7. Flying into Arusha will take about 8 hours less than flying into the Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa. While it is only about four hours shorter than flying into Joburg, by the time the connecting flights into Lusaka and onto Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa are completed, the amount of time into Arusha is 8+ hours shorter.

8. Tanzanites! Perhaps a 5 carat trillion cut Tanzanite ring may do the trick?

9. If we postpone the Argentina trip, currently scheduled for late March, it will allow me time to plan an Argentinian itinerary that her family may elect to join in October 2006.

10. Fall on my hands and knees and beg!

Oct 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM

This question is best answered by those who have been to Zambia/South Africa/Botswana *and* Tanzania, but really, you make valid points. Let me comment on what you have so far.

1. I don't get your angle on this one. But if you do go, see if you can wrangle one of those tours where they take you down to where they're still doing the digs. Personally, I loved the visit to the museum here. They have pictures of Clinton and family up on the wall! (We went 2004 prior to the election.) If you took anthro 101 or whatever in college, this is a must.

2. I'm a "budget traveller" (for Africa), so I'm in no position to comment.

3. You're probably right on this one. We flew Arusha-Zan and it was probably a 40-seater. Felt like a normal plane. So maybe smaller but not too tiny from Seronera?

4. Yes, you can "hide" behind your guide, the door, etc. Although some of the animals are so habituated they come right on up anyway.

5. Stone Town is very interesting. A bit intense. Fascinating.

6. See # 2.

7. Good point!

8. We've covered this on another thread.

9. See # 7.

10. I don't know if this one would fly with me, but give it your best shot.

11. Beautiful savannah landscape. Serengeti=endless plains.

12. Crater itself--hey it's one of the wonders of the world.

13. I could go on and on, but I'll leave the good answers to the experts and the poets among us.

Good luck.
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Frankly, I never thought I'd be asked to "sell" Tanzania to anyone.

My suggestion is you drop the bling-bling and just tell her to join you on a wonderful trip to an astounding, peaceful country with great wildlife and a fascinating mix of cultures.

You did not mention the wonderful people of Tanzania so I suggest you place that at the top of your list and move the bling to the bottom.

If you need a list then buy "The Rough Guide to Tanzania" and check out the 23 things not to miss.
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:56 AM

Rocco, you’re on the right track with Olduvai Gorge. I haven’t been there, but I know it’s a dusty place with several layers of hominid fossil findings. Some of the species died out and one evolved into Homo sapiens. In the upper layers there are very early findings of our own species. What’s important is that East Africa is our home and that or preference for rolling grasslands with scattered flat topped trees has been scientifically proven – it should be possible to find the study and the methods. Anyway, once Alexsandra is there she’ll feel it herself.

Does your wife own an alexandrite? I did a quick search for tanzanites and found out that there are alexandrites as well in Tanzania.
http://www.affrogems.com/guideax.html
Oct 21st, 2005, 07:52 AM

Crater Lodge...will spoil you rotten. It's as exquisite and over the top as it can get. And a great view down into the crater when it's not foggy.

Serengeti is wonderful especially when you stand on a kopje looking out over the "endless plains." You can see forever.

Very little off road driving in the game reserves so the animals can't get too close to you unless they're near the roads.

Paved roads between most of the game reserves. Makes for easier driving.

Lots of Masaai villages to visit for
buying trinkets etc.

Search this Thread