Weekend trip from Nairobi

Oct 14th, 2005, 01:36 AM
hcs
Original Poster

Weekend trip from Nairobi

In late October, my husband has a business meeting in Nairobi and we will have 3 days afterwards for a short trip. Can anyone recommend a place to go for a few days that is relatively close to Nairobi? I prefer to go somewhere within a reasonable driving distance, rather than taking a flight. Accomodation/transportation recommendations would also help. Thank you.
Oct 14th, 2005, 05:15 AM
sandi

hcs -

Nearby and outside of Amboseli is Porini Camp on private conservation lands with game drives done here as well as into Amboseli. They have 2-3 day itineraries where they will pick you up and return you to NBO. Prices, I believe, are all inclusive (drinks). Check it out at link below:

http://www.porini.com/

Distance is about 3-hrs from NBO.

Hope this works for you. Let us know your final decision.

Oct 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM

In addition to sandi's suggestion above, there are several parks/game reserves within 3 hours or so (what do you consider reasonable BTW?) driving distance heading north from Nairobi - Mt. Kenya, Sweetwaters, Aberdare NP, Lake Nakuru, Lake Naivasha. Other than relatively close to Nairobi, what are you looking for? What types of activities/environment/atmosphere interest you and what type of accomodations do you prefer?
Oct 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM
hcs
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your input. Regarding Patty's questions, I would say that we would lean towards going someplace relaxing, where we can do nice walks and stay in nice accomodation (not bush but not super-luxury). We have done our share of safaris in Tanzania, so we don't necessarily need to go someplace with game viewing. Going to mountain or lake area would suit us well. Mt. Kenya and Aberdere NP sound interesting- any particular suggestions there or advice about travel times? I would say that 3 hours would be the maximum reasonable distance for us, especially because we will start a long return journey afterwards. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! Thank you.
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:09 AM
sandi

For relaxation and in line with Patty's comments... going north to/around Aberdares and Mt.Kenya, check out the "country clubs" - Aberdares CC; Kongoni Valley (there are others in the area that a Google search will locate for you) - where you can relax, walk, bicycle, horseback riding, maybe even golf, if so inclined.

Oct 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM

There's the Aberdare Country Club as sandi mentioned as well as the Mt. Kenya Safari Club if you prefer mountains.

For lake areas, the closest is Lake Naivasha and there's a variety of accomodation there. Take a look here for a sampling of what's available -

http://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/k...ashahotels.asp

This map shows the location of various accomodation in and around the lake -

http://www.kenyatravelmaps.com/naivasha/map.htm

Of these 3 destinations, the farthest would be Mt. Kenya Safari Club near Nanyuki (+/- 3 hours drive) and the closest is Lake Naivasha (approx 1.5 hours).
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Hcs, you could stay at Whistling Thorns. It’s a very quiet and relaxed place 1 hour south of Nairobi. You’ll have a view of the Ngong Hills and you can go for horse rides or unaccompanied walks in the hills. There is nothing “dangerous” around Whistling Thorns – only lots of zebras and giraffes. And it’s reasonably priced. http://www.whistlingthorns.com/

Or, if you stay somewhere near Lake Naivasha you could go on an excursion to Lake Nakuru. There’s a risk you’ll regret not staying in a place with good game viewing.
Oct 18th, 2005, 11:48 PM
hcs
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. Based on travel times, we chose Lake Naivasha and are considering staying at either Malewa River Lodge, Olerai House and have just sent an inquiry to Malu. The first two offered fairly good rates- perhaps low season combined with last minute request. Any experience or recommendation on which to choose?
Thanks again.
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I can't help much as we won't be going to Lake Naivasha until next month.

Olerai House is located on the lake shore whereas the other two are located away from the lake, if that's a consideration for you.

We were trying to decide between Crater Lake Camp, Malewa River Lodge and Malu for our trip next month and ended up going with Malu for no reason other than wanting accomodations/setting that's a bit different than the other places on our itinerary.

Olerai House looks lovely though. May I ask what rates you were quoted? Was it a lot less than what's posted on their website?

Hope you enjoy your stay whichever place you choose. I'd love to hear a quick report when you return.
Oct 21st, 2005, 08:28 AM

If you want a bit of luxury... and relaxation only half an hour or so out of Nairobi try N'gong Lodge.

http://kenya.lodgesafari.com/Exclusi...ya-lodges.html

I had a wonderful night there.

You could get a taxi there... but not sure how much. If you email me I can give you the cell number of a driver who will not rip you off!

Search this Thread