Search

Do Most People Store Luggage on Safari?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Most People Store Luggage on Safari?

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your help. I've finally booked my honeymoon trip (OnenOnly CPT-->Ivory Lodge-->Westcliff JNB-->4S MRU). I understand there are strict luggage requirements and people sometimes store luggage.

We're flying inbound CPT-Kruger->Lion Sands then outbound Lion Sands->JNB, so we won't be at the same airport twice to store luggage. Should we change the routing so that we're in and out of JNB airport in order to store luggage, or are most people able to meet luggage requirements? I've never really weighed my luggage so I don't have a good sense, but it's a 16 day trip so I have a feeling we may go over. Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM

do you know what the exact lugage restrictions are?
If you put some thought and effort in to packing you should be able to meet restrictions I think. I went to Nepal on a trek to Everest Base Camp where I could take only 10kilograms, and I managed to keep my packing within that restriction.

I think you should ask yourself which way you would be most comfortable; packing within the limits or leaving some luggage behind.

Im not sure what you mean with the changing of orders though im afraid. Doesn't make much sense to store youre luggage at the airport does it? Why would you even bring it then
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM

I made a calendar up of our 23 day trip, marking the days we could wash and then we packed accordingly. Surprising how little one really needs, and we were all under 10kgs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM

South Africa, whether in cities or on safari, is very casual. No reason to "dress" for dinner, so nice casual for time in CPT can serve you well for safari evenings. And, daytime safari attire being neutral in color (tan, green, brown and even black) can be interchanged from day-to-day.

Forget the pictures of those stepping off the pages of Harpers or Vogue in the snappy safari cloths... not needed. Laundry can be done at most places and included in the price or rinse out what has to be in the evening (mostly womens "smalls"). It's not a fashion show and everyone is limited.

It's amazing how much you can pack to reach the limits allowed. You don't need more changes of clothing than where you'd be the longest, i.e., assuming 4 or 5/days, then change them out at next stop; besides doubt you'll be meeting up with the same people from place to place.

We've all exclaimed "oh my goodness, only 15Kg" and somehow manage to still look cute and clean. Do a search on this board for "safari packing" and you'll find lots of info.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM

It is difficult to wrap one's head around packing just a carry-on for a long trip if you've never done it. But we now do it all the time. There is a good thread running right now by windowlessoffice that has lots of good tips about solid shampoos and conditioners (due to liquid regs). With two of you it's much easier than as a single. We use duffle bags instead of suitcases, wear our heaviest clothes on the planes and take Tide packets just in case we need to hand wash.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM

the hand wash can be in solid 'papers' as well, so no extra weight there
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM

The venues you have chosen (one and only, Westcliff) don't particularly require special dress for dining but I am sure you would feel uneasy if you show up in your safari gear.

So pack light for the above 2 venues and keep it extra in a soft bag so that you don't have to unpack that as well while on safari.

If you fly FedAir or any similar private charter you can leave that luggage with them and pick it up when you return to JNB. But their luggage restrictions match those of the big carrier: 20kgs.

For safari you literally need 3 shirts, a short, 1 slack, sandals/walking shoes, underwear.

20kgs should be sufficient for the whole trip incl. decent leisure stuff for the cities.

Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:26 AM

The last I knew Lion Sands provided laundry service with stays. This is the case with most lodges as well. Most people take too much clothing on safari. The casual settings along with regular laundry service leads itself to packing light. Travelling clothes, 1 set casual dress if desired, and three sets of clothing to be worn on safari days. This should do it for you.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM

indeed... unless you are bringing some heavy camera equipment or a ton of books I can't imagine going over 15kg for a safari.....