Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dennis, sorry, there's no special Easter Island license plate (but link to photos from Easter Island and French Polynesia attached)

Search

Dennis, sorry, there's no special Easter Island license plate (but link to photos from Easter Island and French Polynesia attached)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://tinyurl.com/6qmdxy

When I mentioned in a prior post that I planned to visit Easter Island, Dennis asked that I take a photo of the license plate (but, alas, its no different from mainland Chile's license plate). Anyway, I have attached a link to photos from my mid-May trip to Easter Island (with stopover in Bora Bora and Rangiroa on the return).
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

Wow, Michael thanks for sharing another amazing set of far flung places.

I had no idea that Easter Island had such a large quantity and diversity of statues (Maoi). Looks like a fascinating place to visit and the French Polynesia is of course breath taking.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM

I got my answer before I asked the question! I was wondering about one of the statues in the early PICS -- the sole one with something on its head…
…topknot

"topknotted and eyeballed maoi..."
Dramatic

"Crater of Rano Kau"
Wow! What is the story about this crater?

The thatched roof @ Bloody Marys is gorgeous

Atolls

Polynesian *Keep on Truckin’* silhouettes...

Wonderful that you included so many *Flags and Signs* and other *you are here markers* I like that.

Funny Brew Mobiles

I enjoy the New Years ceremonies televised each year from this beautiful location.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

Beautiful pics Michael! Thanks for sharing. What an incredible place, would love to see Easter Island.

Interesting that the district I live in is "Puna". Means "spring of water" in Hawaiian. Pau means "done" I'm bad at history and can't remember if Easter Island was founded by Polynesians, if so the language/spellings seems similar.

Did you have time to go into Honolulu for dinner?

Thanks again, where to next?
Dennis
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Dennis, everyone (but Thor Heyerdahl) believes that Easter Island was populated from Polynesia (Heyerdahl sought to prove that it was settled from South America). Honolulu was meant to be in December, on my way home from Manila, but I a recent schedule change cut my layover from several to two hours, so I'll spend the time in the airport.

Next up is Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia in August (the new Lonely Planet was just released last week, and I just received it from Amazon, so I'm now researching hotels and stuff).

When do you leave for Kgalagadi? Of all the parks I've been visited, its one of the two to which I'd most like to return (with Etosha) -- something about the combination of self-drive and solitude of the arid environment.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM

Michael~
Leave Hilo on September 8, get to KTP September 12. Really looking forward to it.

My cousin who's with the state dept. loved Azerbijan.