Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Daytrips from Johannesburg and other questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be leaving next Saturday for Johannesburg. We will be staying for 2 nights at the Courtyard Hotel at Bruma Lake before our tour leaves for Botswana.

Questions are: Is there a daytrip or halfday trip that we should take while in Johannesburg? Since we will be seeing many animals in Botswana (hopefully) we do not need to do that here. We will not have a car.

Also, the weather reports for the last few days indicate rain or showers nearly everyday. I know it is the rainy season but what kind of rain gear does one take on this kind of trip in the rainy season? Is there someone from Johannnesburg who can give me the current conditions? Is a poncho a good thing to take on safari?

Thanks, Margo
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hello,

Depending on what you enjoy, there are quite a few options in Joburg. You can take a 1/2 day tour of Soweto (highly recommended) and visit the revitalised area of Newtown. The Apartheid Museum is both moving and sobering; Museum Africa is another interesting stop. Finally, since you will be there on Sunday, I would heartily recommend the Sunday African craft market at the Rosebank Mall.

Even though you won't have a car, it is possible to get relatively inexpensive transfers by taxi to Rosebank, and a Soweto tour would pick up from your hotel.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Agree with jasher for half day trip to Soweto will give you a bit off history and cultural exp in Sa.Hornbill eco tours offer some of these trips.just google search and you should find them.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Yes, don't miss the Rosebank Market; it's great!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

What are the hours for the Rosebank market on Sunday? Our flight gets to Johannesburg about 1030am and then we will be picked up for the hotel. I would think that we will be jetlagged after a 17 hour flight from Dulles. So I guess we are looking for Monday activities.

Anybody answer what the current weather is? What rain gear would you recommend?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Hello Margo,

I'd advise you to sleep on the plane and then stay up on your first day in Joburg -- it will really help you acclimate to local time.

The Rosebank Market should run until around 5-6pm (I'm not absolutely positive).

Check www.weather.com for the weather -- go to the international section and look up Joburg. I expect it's pretty warm. An umbrella might be a good idea.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM

The Rosebank Market is open 9am-5pm, Sundays and Public Holidays. The adjoining smaller African Craft Market is open every day, 9am-6pm.

www.craft.co.za/markets.htm.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM

There is also the nearby Cullinan(?) diamond mine tour, but this is not open on the weekends. As such, we were unable to do it on our trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jasher and others for the suggestions. What is a good gift (handicraft) that one should look for at the market?

As for the rain gear, I know that an umbrella is good for urban rain but my question is for rain in the game camps in Botswana and Nambia. What would one need for the game drives? Does anyone have recent knowledge of the flood conditions in those countries?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hello,

The camps usually supply rain ponchos or suits for rainy weather -- you should check with them.

Cheers,
Julian