which safari camp is better?

Jan 15th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

which safari camp is better?

Which do you recommend- Duba Plains camp or Chitabe Camp? I am going a little bit batty with all these choices. thanks for your help
Jan 15th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I don't know Duba, having only been to Chitabe but...

Would probably help people answer if you give more on what criteria are most important - big cats, eles, smaller animals, birding, accommodation, guiding/ staff...?

Jan 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
santharamhari

Chitabe is better for all-round game viewing.....if you are only looking for lions and buffaloes, then duba is the way to go..........

Chitabe is a well reputed camp for its wild dog packs.

Jan 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM

You probably want a response before I could do a comparison for you. I was in Chitabe last August and will be at Duba Plains this coming August.

Very impressed with Chitabe. So impressed, in fact, that when I found out there was a denning pack of wild dogs with 8 puppies about 15 minutes from camp, I changed my reservations to remain at Chitabe for 8 nights, instead of my plan of 4. So I got an in depth Chitabe experience and was well pleased with it.

The first 4 days at Chitabe had a nice variety of game from lion and leopard to elephant and bat eared fox to a baby honey badger and hyena cubs. The next four days were nowhere near as prolific for game, but that's always the luck of the draw. The dogs were there throughout, but seeing wild dogs cannot be counted on, even in a place as well known for them as Chitabe.

Chitabe has a walking trail camp option that I did and thoroughly enjoyed. You walk (or drive) to and from a raised platform on which a mattress and misquito netting are placed and spend a night in the open bush, complete with private dinner and breakfast. Just lovely!

At Duba I am hoping to see lions interact with buffalo. Although other game exists, especially elephants, Duba is not known for its variety of animals. Chitabe would have greater variety.

I do know Chitabe is slightly less expensive also.

It also depends on what other camps you are visiting besides Duba or Chitabe and what experience you are seeking on safari.

The choices may be driving you batty because they are all good choices. That's why so many of us keep going back. We want to take advantage of all the wonderful options Africa has to offer.
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Lin

I second all Lynn has to say about Chitabe - I did the same walking trail, I loved this camp and the staff, and the opportunity to see wild dog is very good here. Susan, I've been reading all of your many recent posts. Have you come to any conclusions so far? I'm curious!
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your replies. Lin- we are going with Chitabe, Savuti and Kwestani for two nights each. Now the other question will be how much time in Cape town, Victoria Falls and Jo'burg. But I need to lock in those dates for the camps first.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Your Botswana portion looks good!

Search this Thread