Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Day Trips from Amman - Suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'll be visiting Jordan at the end of the month and staying three nights in Amman. We love to travel at a pretty fast pace & this is a very last minute trip so we'd like to make the most of it with such limited time in the area!

We land in Amman late on Tuesday evening, and will be taking a taxi to the Amman Marriott. For the remaining 2 days, we're planning an all-day trip to Petra on Wed or Thurs (taking the early bus there, and back at night), but will have one more day to explore the area.

Would you suggest:
Bethany Beyond the Jordan and the Dead Sea
OR
Jerash

I know it would be tricky & rushed, but do you think there's anyway to squeeze all three places into one day? I'm hoping to arrange a driver for the day through the Marriott (where we're staying). Do you think that's the best way to do it? Again, I know this isn't an ideal itinerary for most people, but we have no flexibility in terms of the trip length. Just trying to see as much as we can!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Jerash and Dead Sea can certainly be done.

Not sure where Bethany Beyond is, but believe it's farther north of Jerash. If so, head there first, then south to Jerash, concluding at Dead Sea.

Hotel driver should be just fine.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM

I checked a map of Jordan, & Jerash is north of Amman.

I've been to Bethany Beyond the Jordan, & it is located in the vicinity just east of the Allenby Bridge, & just north of the Dead Sea.

I would think you could do all three in one day.
Considering that I was traveling...

with a large tour group;

by bus from Jerusalem & crossing the border at the Allenby Bridge (very time consuming);

scheduled to visit Amman, but cancelled because a fellow tourist became ill.

So we wound up at our Dead Sea Hotel near the Zara Spa in the middle of the afternoon.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been to Bethany Beyond, but yes, you should be able to do Jerash (DEFINITELY worthwhile!) and the Dead Sea in a day from Amman. Jerash is basically right there not far from the city. I'm pretty sure your hotel can arrange a driver for you (ours did) for the day. I'd do Jerash in the morning (you can hire your own guide on site for not too much money) and then have the driver take you to the Dead Sea for the afternoon.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM

travelbug84, I apologize for this....

clamchowder, which tour company did you use for Isreal/Jordan?

althom1122, would you know approximately what the cost of the car and driver was that your hotel arranged? Would you recommend the hotel you stayed in in Amman? If so, could you please share the name of it.

Thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone who responded - sounds like i can definitely fit all three in which is great!

like clamchowder said, Bethany beyond the Jordan is on the north side of the Dead Sea so I think going to Jerash in the morning and Bethany/Dead sea in the afternoon would work.

althom - i'd also be curious to know how much the driver cost for the day

thanks again!
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Germanblonde;

www.joshuatravel.com

They lead evangelical Christian tour groups to Israel & Jordan, & teach a great deal about Biblical prophecy.

RT airfare from JFK to TLV was included.

The year I went, the director said the group size was double than in previous years...two busloads & a total of 75 passengers.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM

Thanks, clamchowder. I'll take a look at the website.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Travelbug,

I hope you will give us a trip report upon your return.

I bought a beautiful handcrafted dagger from one of the merchants in Petra, & afterwards we had a nice chat over a cup of tea.

He told me that before Sept 11th, he estimated over a thousand tourists daily. Then for a couple years after, about ten daily.
It wasn't too crowded when I was there, but he said they were gradually coming back.

Perhaps you will be invited to a bedouin tent for a meal. One of my fellow travelers accepted & had an enjoyable time.