Current mara game viewing

Jan 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Current mara game viewing

Hi all

We're off for another trip to the Mara (first one for four years) in a couple of weeks time. After a night at the Emakoko (a new lux lodge on the edge of the Nairobi National Park) I'm staying three nights at Rekero followed by three nights at Mara Plains. I've heard that there had been a lot of rain in the past two months. Does anyone have any recent experience of how this has effected the game viewing as I suspect the grass will be very long ?
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Can't answer your question but I have some questions for you.

When you go can you ask about the lion killings in NBO Nat Park or on the perimeter and if a lion population in the park is sustainable?

Can you ask about cheetah #s and if there still are some?

How about corridors to other areas around NBO Nat Park or the blocking of the corridors? Any news on that is good, along with grazing within the park.

Emakoko owners, Anthony and Emma Childs, must believe there is a future for NBO Nat Park if they are building a hotel there. Or is it more of a convenience location to minimize transfer time back to the airport? If you can find out their philosophy that would be great.

By my questions you can tell I am worried about the future of this unique park in a city, the only nat park within a city in the world, I believe.

That's a major assignment I've just laid on you and you can choose to accept or decline. Heck, you're on vacation. And have a good one.
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Challenge accepted !!

I have a feeling that I will be one of the first visitors to the Emakoko so will report back in three week's time. I suspect they are targeting the Ngong House / Giraffe Manor clientele with the prospect of similar luxury but with game viewing instead of history ...

I share your concern over Nairobi NP - I was a regular visitor to the park between 1977 and 1981 when my father was based in Nairobi and have fond memories. Not too many of lions but certainly cheetah and lots of rhino. Whilst I have visited Kenya on numerous occasions in the art decade, it is my first time back in the Nairobi park since 1981.
Jan 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM

You appear uniquely qualified for this challenge, Philw. Thank you for accepting. Looking forward to your findings.
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Please report your findings once you are done.
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM

Hi

I'm staying around 4 nights in and around Nairobi but have no plans to visit NNP. However, I'm interested in reading your findings as they could sway my decision having also read Atravelynn's reports

P.S. does Sanjay Gandhi National Park count as a national park in a city? Its totally enclosed with civilisation.
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Super_Leeds - I'll update you when I get back..even though you are a Leeds supporter ! PS : I am a Palace season ticket holder and went to the Leeds game last week
Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:45 PM

"does Sanjay Gandhi National Park count as a national park in a city? Its totally enclosed with civilisation."

Just a comment - While The Bronx Zoological in NYC isn't called a National Park, it is likewise completely surrounded by civilization, though considered one of the best in the US!
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM

Hi philw - I see your reason for wanting to leave the country!
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Atravelynn and super_leeds

I have just returned from my trip and a brief review of Emakoko (and Nairobi NNP) is included in the following thread

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ara-plains.cfm

Phil
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:39 AM

Thanks, philw.

Will read it soon! Hope you had a good one, though I'm sure I'm about to find out

Search this Thread