Search

Cig. Lighter Chargers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cig. Lighter Chargers?

Hello, Ive been trying to figure out about these chargers people talk about that just plug into the safari vehicle lighter outlet thing. I have recently changed our plans and were now doing a mobile camping safari and i dont know how often ill be able to find electricity. I wanted to know the type of chargers you use for plugging into the car. Do you use one specific for your device, or something like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JP20-16...297&sr=8-4

that you can actually plug stuff into? Seems like this type of item would be best, but of course im not sure so im hoping you can give me some opinions. Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM

we used the cigarette lighter as a charger for an ipod, but fortunately did not need it for the cameras (I had charged 3 batteries before I left and that lasted 2 weeks). however, the vehicle we used for safari, the lighter did not work. Don't know whether the fuse was out, or it was just broken.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Our Wilderness Safari mobile had three plugs in the drivers cab. The 12V cigarette lighter, plus a converter box that had a US type plug and a Botswana/South Africa type plug (3 large round prongs).

I am not sure this is consistent for all mobile vehicles.

If you are looking for a good 12V battery charger, I used these from B&H photo:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1..._Chargers.html

Find the one that works with your camera and battery and you will have a 12V car charger and a regular plug charger all in one. I had one for both my digital camera and my Epson P-3000 and I could use any of the chargers.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I purchased a 12-volt converter off e-bay. Here is an example of one: http://cgi.ebay.com/100-WATT-Car-12-...QQcmdZViewItem

I paid something like $12-15 for mine, which has enought wattage to charge up my laptop. It's very compact and I'll be taking it with me on my safari in kenya next week.
I should be in good shape, assuming the vehicle's 12-volt outlet works!
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. Now I know what I will be getting! And ill cross my fingers the cars outlet will work!