batteries for africa

Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

batteries for africa

hoping someone can post how to recharge batteries--if a special plug or adapter or converter is needed and about how much memory to take along. 14 days in kenya and tanzania --first trip and lots of questions--thanks justluv2
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM

What type of batteries do you have?

Check first to see if your charger is dual voltage (will say something like 110~240V). If it is, then all you need is an adaptor plug, the 3 prong UK type for Kenya and I believe most of Tanzania uses the same type.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
sandi

To add to Patty's comments. Depending on the type of accommodations - if lodges, you'll probably be able to recharge your batteries in your room. If staying at permanent tent camps that have 24/7 electric, likewise you will be able to recharge in your tent; even if electric only till 11pm, you'll have time to recharge. If, however, you're staying at semi-permanent and/or mobile camps, it will be a bit more difficult. Though semi-permanent camps can probably recharge your batteries in their offices.

My camera used AA batteries and with each charge, 1-set was good for a full day. I did, however, have two extra sets of batteries... one which I had with me on game drives as back-up, while the third was recharging. So seriously consider back-up batteries.

There are a number of threads here on Fodor's about digital cameras and the amount of memory to have available. Some people choose to go with 1GB chip; others have portable devices to download in the evening. I, personally, prefer not to keep all my eggs in one basket and opt for smaller memory chips - a 512MB and a few 256Mb chips - just in case one of the chips are/become damaged. Do a search on this board for the digital camera threads or those re memory chips for more details.

Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

The charger I have is an energizer, but not for 220-so I think I will need a converter of some sort. 4 Double AA batteries can be charged at a time.I bought two 512 cards. I bet there is a converter plug and adapter set available at a travel store-- if anyone knows--- please post. thanks justluv2
Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM

justluv2,
I don't know how much converters run, but it may be just as cost effective (and perhaps easier, less items to take) to purchase a new AA battery charger such as this one which is dual voltage and also comes with a car adaptor (unless you also have other items you need the converter for) -

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&loc=111&sp=1
Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:28 PM

Converters (aka transformers) run about $20-30. So, you can go either way. A converter does give you the flexibility to take other devices that are 110.

Magellans has a good article on plug adapters and converters:
http://www.magellans.com/store/article/358?Args=

You can also pick up a travel set that includes both the adapter plugs and the converter:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...ry=transformer
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

just purchased a converter
and the adaptor plug set.2 sets of rechargable AAs so should be ok now. thanks to all for advice and can't wait to get to kenya in nov.

Search this Thread