Please settle a "discussion" about temps. in August in East Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need you guys "in the know" to settle a weather question once and for all. We leave for our trip in 2 months. Dates are from August 20-Sept. 3. Our destinations are as follows:

Arusha Coffee Lodge 1 nt.
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge 2 nt.
Lake Manyara Tree Lodge 2nt.
Serengeti Under Canvas 3 nt.
Norfolk Hotel, Nairobi 1 nt.
Gorilla Forest Camp, Uganda 2 nt
From my many days and nights on this site, I am confused as to just how cold it will be. It is really difficult to anticipate 32 degree weather in August when you usually spend your Aug. in Texas. Will a fleece jacket be enough or do we need a light coat? I will be bringing knit hats, gloves, and scarf. Please settle this question once and for all. My husband is having a more difficult time with the temp. possibilities than I am. You all can settle our "discussions" or as we say in Texas, Ya'll can settle our "discussions".

Thanks,

Nancy
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I know what you mean about August here in Texas (Houston). If you're talking 32 degrees, that must be Centigrade, which is about 89 in Fahrenheit. I will likely be cool in the morning at the top of the crater, even in August, but not really cold. I don't know about Uganda, but Tanzania should not require quite as much warm weather gear as you're talking about, even for us thin-blooded Texans.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Here is a tip on quickly converting C degrees to F degrees:

Double the C degrees and add 30 degrees and that will give you a close estimate to F degrees.

It was cold on the game drives in South Africa in early morning and late evening and we wore gloves, scarf, hat and fleece jackets and had water bottles and blankets. I would recommend putting in some fleece gloves, a warm scarf that can be put around your head with hat on top to keep head warm. These take up so little room in your suitcase. The gift shops may sell them at your came as well.

We were in open jeeps and the motion of the jeep provided an extra "wind chill factor". If you are in closed jeep, it may not be as bad. Maybe ok at the Crater, but not sure, have only been there in September.

If you don't have fleece jacket, take a sweater or sweatshirt to wear.

- Granny Joan
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Last September the weather at Lake Manyara and Serengeti Under Canvas was wonderful. Lows were probably about 60 and highs in the low 80s. We brought warmer jackets and never used them. A fleece jacket was all that we needed. The Crater was really not as cold as we expected, fleece was enough.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. That all helps a lot. Actually, I was talking Fahrenheit. I should have clarified though. We were told of possible lows of 32 and highs from 60-70. It sounds like just a fleece will work. I am finding it difficult to find the right color of fleece at this time of year. I have found a few online at Eddie Bauer. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks too for the easy way to convert. That is helpful.

Now it's time to continue my shopping today. So much to think of.

Nancy
Austin, but a native Houstonian
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Everyone has their own body thermometer. Aug/Sep is winter in East Africa, so as year-round, mornings and nights will be cooler/colder than mid-day temps. And altitude will have an impact on just how cold it may get.

At the crater on the rim at 7,000' will be cold and can go down to 32/deg., but once inside the crater if no clouds the temp can be in the comfy 70s.

If in open vehicles, as you maybe at Tree Lodge, Under Canvas, when those vehicles take off, the wind will pick up and you may chill to the bone. If in closed vehicles this wouldn't impact many temperature-wise and discomfort.

Regardless time of year, a scarf, gloves, socks and a knit cap are recommended... all of which take up little room when packing. Rather have than not and be downright uncomfortable. As to a fleece, I wouldn't worry about the color, as unless you're out walking it won't matter much while in a vehicle.

I've seen visitors in ski parkers during this period, so it's obvious everyone dresses according to individual tolerance. And, if coming from hot Texas, the cold may seem moreso.

There really isn't one answer for everyone.