Search

Choosing Safari Camps

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing Safari Camps

We are going to Kruger then Botswana Aug. 30, 03. The camps I have questions about are Chitwa Chitwa in the Sabi Sand and in the Linyanti Reserve, Savuti. In the Okavanga Delta Kwetsani, Chitabe and Vumbura. Does anyone have any 1st hand experience with these? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I have stayed at both Savuti and Chitabe. What specific questions do you have?
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Were you happy with the rooms, food, location, rangers? We are not booked yet but must make decisions soon. The itinerary has us 2 nights at Savuti, then 2 at Chitabe then 2 at Vumbura. Are they all that different or would we do just as well not to jump around and spend more time at 1 place? I wonder especially about the differences in Okavanga. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Like all Wilderness Camps in the Delta, the rooms, food and location are incredible. At both places, we had permenent tents that opened onto the savannah, very comfortable beds, nice bathrooms (our bathroom at Savuti was incredible as it opened directly onto the plains with no fourth wall), etc. Also, nice pool at Savuti which was hot mid-afternoon. The food is excellent, not 5-star French haute cuisine, but very tasty and plentiful. All of the guides/rangers were extremely enthusiastic and knowledgable.

I understand that Vumbura is sufficiently different that its worth moving camps, in fact, many visitors travel from camp to camp. The flights are always mid-day so you don't miss any game drives, and the flights over the delta are spectacular.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 11:03 AM
sandi

While I was checking for our trip this year, which we eventually postponed (things change), I came across some interesting sites for Wilderness Camps and a map that shows you where they are located in the Delta.

Because we were only planning to be there 3-days, (had been to Chobe Botswana previously and this trip was for Namibia mainly, we were to be in one camp only, and I selected Kwetsani. Just my personal choice.

However, if people are planning to be in the area for 4 or more days they usually do 2 camps on a 4-day trip, and 3-camps on a 6-day trip.

Your choice of different camps should be based on different eco environments or specific animals that might inhabit the area. Some camps in the Delta DO NOT do Night drives, something to think about and check. But realize everytime you change camps, you incur a charge for your flights

Check: www.wilderness-safaris.com

then select the camps of interest. They provide all kinds of info as to flight times takes to get to camp, camp schedule, photos of accommodations, number of tents at lodge, size of beds, etc., game viewing (what's to be found), whether water or land safaris.

As to the map:
www.capecairo.com/botswana/botswmap.html

Hope this helps somewhat in making your choice.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM

This past April, we went to the Delta after a week in Namibia (predominately desert). Spent 3 nights at Little Vumbura, near Vumbura but a different experience since in April LV is a water camp as well as offering land activities. In August I believe that the delta is flooded and water is dominant. Anyway, we loved LV. The water element was fabulous after a week in the desert but I found that I really enjoyed the water activities more than I expected. The camp itself was very attractive with lots of trees and nice furnishings. The canvas tents had roman shades on the windows instead of canvas coverings that we had on our tents in Namibia (Wilderness camps there as well). The food was fine, lots of variety and healthy too considering the limitations. We liked the camp managers very much and since they spend a lot of time with you before, during and after meals its nice if you enjoy their company. The water guides were excellent - knew every single bird and so much about the flora. Our land guide was fine but not as forthcoming as some of our other guides in Namibia. We asked a lot of questions and got briefer answers. But he worked hard to find wild dogs and a cheetah for us. It was a great experience and it was my favorite camp on our safari.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM
LizFrazier

Mary-Did we see your trip report? Are we missing something here? We do so love trip reports on Botswana and Namibia. It sounds like my dream trip. Please tell me more. TIA. Liz

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Response to Liz:
Sorry, I have not posted my trip report yet and we've been back too long. I am planning one but I've been trying to get my photos organized. I promise to get to it soon. I sneak in a comment or two on some of these threads.
Mary
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:24 AM

I rate Djuma Bush Lodge in The Sabi Sands as one of the best run camps, understated comfort and wonderful hosts and guides. They have one of the largest and finest traversing areas in Kruger. The wildlife around the lodge is increadible.

I found wondeful image portfolios of the wilderness camps in Botswana.

http://www.botswanasafari.info/wilde...tswana-lodges/

Duba Plains and Little Vumbura have given me the best wildlife encounters in the Okavango
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:43 AM

We've stayed in following lodges in Botswana:

Little Mombo
Little Vumbura
Chitabe Trails

Little Mombo was best - not because of the stunning accommodation which we loved but didn't feel a need for - but because of the spectacular game viewing - we spent hours within feet of leopards, cheetah, lions etc. That said I have heard here and via email from recent visitors that guiding standards and game viewing are not as excellent in recent months. Accommodation is vast and environment wonderful. Staff when we were there were superb. Food as at other Wilderness Safari camps - we really enjoyed it.

We loved Little Vumbura. We too were more enamoured with the water activities than we had anticipated. I wouldn't choose this in isolation but combine it with a camp suited to land activities and standard game drives. We loved the tents, if you book in time you might be able to reserve the honeymoon one with an outdoor bath - if not it's just showers - as we had - but that's fine. Staff really friendly, food excellent. Great for birding, less good for large animals.

Chitabe Trails - without wishing to exaggerate - as we still enjoyed our stay - this was my least favourite WS camp of the trip (which included some camps in Namibia too). Staff nice but a little less flexible, gamew viewing very poor, tents and food similar to others. Just didn't light our fire at all.

For the next trip we have booked:

Little Mombo

Savuti Camp - we wanted to see a different area and also understand this camp is great for elephant viewing - also is recommended for intimate atmosphere

Gudigwa Camp - 1 nt - we thought the insight into San life might be interesting

Tubu Tree - a new WS property and we just thought it would be good to try it - we've arranged a water transfer to the next camp instead of flight or drive

Jacana Camp - thought we loved LVumbura we decided to try another water camp this time - it was between this, Kwetsani and Xigera. All are recommended by all agents we spoke to, as is LV, so I suspect there is little to choose between them. We just liked the small size and look of this one.

Jack's Camp - again a change of scenery and a camp my parents loved when they visited some years ago.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:27 AM

We will be on our first safari Sept. 3 for 9 days. With a lot of help from everyone at this web site & Fish Eagle Safaris,we booked 3 nites each at Tubu Tree, Dubu Plains & Kings Pool. Kings Pool just reopened after some major remodeling. Each room now has a swimming pool, sala, sitting room ,etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Sounds wonderful Jann!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:09 PM

I was at Chitabe Trails and Vumbura in Sept. 2001. Both excellent experiences, with superb guides and great wildlife viewing at both camps. At Chitabe we saw lots of lion, several cheetah (including one right after a kill) and a pack of wild dog after a kill, and several leopard during the day. Chitabe is land only-- adjacent to Moremi. Vumbura has the advantage of being both a water and land camp, with superb diversity. (Highlights there were a morning spent with a whole pride of lion including 7 small cubs, more cheetah and lion... and wonderful birding along the water.)
I've heard good things about Savuti..also about Duma Tau and Kings Pool, which are also in that Linyanti/Savuti area.

Haven't been to Kwetsani, but it sounds excellent too.