Search

Cash/Traveler's Cheques/CC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash/Traveler's Cheques/CC

Hello again! I have another question. I'm trying to decide how to handle currency for trip next week to Johannesburg. I'll be leaving out of Atlanta and a Travelex exchange bureau is available at the airport there. Would you recommend converting dollars into rands here (in the US) or upon arrival in Johannesburg? I'm a little cautious about doing it there for safety reasons. Second question: I really don't want to carry around a lot of cash and we'll be there for 3 weeks. It has been recommended that I get Amex traveller's cheques as Amex offices (I'm told) are in abundance there. Others have recommended using credit/debit cards. Any recommendations along those lines? Lastly, we'll be staying at a guest cottage that does not accept credit card payments. Our deposit was made via wire transfer. Debating whether or not to have cash available to pay remaining balance or to transfer balance electronically as I did with with the initial deposit. What say ye all? Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Hi - I just asked a ver similar question yesterday at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35114902 you may find this thread useful.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM

You usually get a less favorable rate converting in the US. I would just do it on arrival.

Or you can use an ATM to withdraw ZAR. I would get an ATM-only card rather than a debit card with a Visa/MC logo so in case the card is lost or stolen, no one can use it without your pin number.

Credit cards are OK because they don't automatically deduct from your bank account.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Best to obtain ZAR in South Africa. Use the ATM for the best exchange rate. If unsure about the ATMs at airport, then you can certainly stop at a currency exchange window. Rate will be a bit less favorable, but not as poor if changing in the States.

While TC are nice to have in case of emergency, these provide a poor rate of exchange. If you do bring TCs be sure they're in USD which you probably won't need; on return home simply redeposit to your account.

If driving around SA, and unless things have changed, I recall that the petrol stations do not take credit cards... local currency only as payment.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. Where can I get an atm-only card? We are travelling next Tuesday. Can one be obtained so quickly? Thanks again.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Do you currently have an ATM or debit card? Ask your bank if they offer an ATM-only option. I don't know if it's possible to get one issued before you leave.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM

If your bank offers ATM-only (and they should), they should also be able to provide one while you wait. If not while waiting, then have it overnighted to you.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. My bank (Bank of America) said it's either one or the other: atm or check card but not both. They said that the atm card can be used like a visa/debit card. Also they said they are now issuing all atm cards with the Visa/MC logo on them, so I might as well use my regular check card. I have notified them of my travel plans and they assure me that I would not be responsible for any unauthorized charges to my accounts. I will still visit the branch office and see what they say. My plan is to exchange currency when I get there. Thanks again to everybody for the input.