Money/Credit Card/Travelers Checks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry for such a basic question but I am wondering what makes the best sense for our upcomign trip to Australia. <BR><BR>I want to make the most of the currency exchange rate from US Dollars. <BR><BR>I have heard that Visa will charge me 3% on transactions ? <BR><BR>Any suggestions for my FI and I since we normally charge everything while on vacation?<BR><BR>Dawn
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:02 AM
ALF

I would use ATM (EFTPOS) machines to withdraw money, using my debit card. You will get the latest exchange rate, not have to carry around much money at any one time, and these machines are more common than in the U.S.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:09 AM

We are leaving in 1 and half weeks, woohoo! I'm excited, can't you tell.<BR><BR>Anyways, call your credit card company, it varies. My bank offers the Visa and I haven't seen any extra charges on my account. I've had our hotels, tour operators, and flights already charged AUS$ to my Visa.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Hi Dawn,<BR>I think you will find the 3% maybe for cash withdrawls only, if you pay for meals, hotels, car hire etc.. by credit card then you will find the exchange rate better than you thought.<BR>We did just that and we were pleasantly surprised when our statements came.<BR>Of course don't carry too much cash, but use TC and change as you go along.<BR>I too have never had a charge on my statement for this.<BR><BR>Have fun<BR><BR>Muck<BR>
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM

dawn,<BR><BR>We had all three to cover our basis. It was nice to have a bit of cash when we got off the plane for shuttles/cabs &amp; tips. After the long trip to Oz, the last thing i wanted was to deal with was customs &amp; finding an ATM. <BR><BR>We used credit cards for most everything. I found I got a great exchange rate and wasn't ever charged a fee, unless it was built into the exchange rate. But I still found it better. With ATM's you have to watch out that your bank doesn't charge you a fee for using an out-of-network ATM.<BR><BR>We took some AMEX Australian Travelers Cheques as well. Handy in case our credit cards were stolen. I found it a pain to use for purchasing items in stores, but worked well at the hotels. We just cashed them at the front desk or at an AMEX office and had AUS$ without using an ATM. Also got a better exchange rate in the States for them before we left.<BR><BR>Have Fun,<BR><BR>Amy
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:09 PM
LN

Hi<BR><BR>When we were there last March we had some cash, our ATM cards, and some credit cards with us. We sometimes found a fee to exchange money (American to Australian or New zealand) we never had a fee for our ATM withdrawals and one card was with Bank of America. Our charges gave us good exchange rates but no additional fees. I think that Visa or Mastercard charges a fee when you use your credit card to get cash. All transactions were very good while we were in Oz and NZ and I'm feeling sad as I wish we were also returning there.<BR><BR>We took along a prepaid phone card and we brought most of the time back to the states unused. The little internet cafes are everywhere and are so reasonable to use that you can keep in touch with everyone plus write your travel trip as you go along and mail it to yourself and friends.<BR><BR>If you are concerned about Visa charging give them a call and ask if 3% is for cash advances or purchases. <BR>Enjoy - it's spectacular!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:16 PM

Travellers chequewes are nit that widely used in Australia. Most shops don't accept them - so you have to change them at banks or big hotels, or the Amex office, none of which may be convenient.<BR><BR>I use automatic tellers and credit cards. Check with your credit card company and/or bank about charges.