Search

Casablanca or Rabat for two night stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:20 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casablanca or Rabat for two night stay

We are arriving from Europe to Casablanca late on a Saturday afternoon in April. We have two nights before heading to Fez (via Meknes) on Monday. Can't decide whether to stay Sat night and Sunday night in Casablanca to mainly tour the Hassan II Mosque on Sunday, or whether to go directly to Rabat and stay Sat night & Sun night in Villa Mandarine (looks beautiful though outside city center) and spend Sunday visiting Mausoleum of Mohammad V, the Kasbah, & the Medina. Many negative reviews of Casablanca, but perhaps it's worth it to see the most unique and special Hassan II Mosque. Just can't decide what to do .... Please help! Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I know there are fans of the mosque here, but I would not spend a night in Casa just to see it. If you can't fit it in on the way, go on to Rabat, a very nice city. I'm not sure what "outside city center" means but do stay in town where you can walk. The mausoleum is very worthwhile.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely Rabat. And I would stay in town.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:46 AM

I think several of us provided you feedback on this in your original post and one of your later posts sounded like you had already made the decision to only use Casa for transport in and perhaps out of Morocco. I'll give my opinion again--I would give myself 1/2 day in Casa to see the mosque. It's breathtaking.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Yes, MinnBeef, I've been going back and forth on this in my mind, and hoping to get more input from others! Please Morocco travelers, help me decide!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In the scheme of things this decision is not a big one. You could even wait until you get there to decide. Travel to Morocco is way down, hotels will be half empty, if you're tired when you get there go on to Rabat and you'll be fine without reservations. You'll likely be able to get your hotel for a discount as a walk-in over reserving in advance. Any taxi driver can take you to the mosque from the airport if you want to do it when the time comes, then on to the train station. This isn't a pressing problem.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Casablanca has been long popular thanks to the film of Casablanca that was not even shot there.Unless you are planning to chase business opportunities, then Casablanca is the one to vouch for. Alternatively, I would recommend visiting the Impressive Mosque of Hassan II and catch the train from the adjacent Casa Port Medina and head to Rabat.

Culturally speaking, Rabat is listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its rich history that goes back to the 11th century when it was first settled by the Almoravid Warriors. I enjoy wandering around the Oudayas Kasbah that panoramically overlooks the Bou Regreg River, the Atlantic Ocean and the authentic city of Sale.

The Medina (Old Town) with its hassle-free Souks (markets) can turn the experience into a rewarding one. To sum it up all, I personally vouch for Rabat than Casablanca...
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 03:42 PM

You should stay in Rabat. The Villa Mandarine looks nice but do you know where it is, which part of the city ?
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:52 PM

The Villa Mandarine is actually nice but as far as the location is concerned, I would prefer to stay within the walls of the Medina in a typical Riad for cultural immersion and engagement...
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM

But, where is it ? Agdal ? Souissi ? Think I saw Souissi mentioned somewhere, but it didn't say more. I'd prefer staying at the Balima or the Tour Hassan, someplace central, and not have to take taxis everywhere. Yes, a riad would be interesting for a tourist. Can you recommend one ?