Car in Cape Town/Hotel rec

May 1st, 2002, 02:50 PM
B

Car in Cape Town/Hotel rec

Is is cheaper to rent a car or hire drivers to go to wine country and around the sites near Cape Town? Planning on three days - one touring in Cape Town, one in wine country, one to Cape Peninsula. Any recommendations of hotels in the Waterfront area?

May 2nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
james

I've always hired a car - it gives you so much more flexibility. The road are good, well sign-posted etc. If you go to the winelands, head for lunch in Franschhoek - wonderful scenery, especially at La Petite Ferme where the food is wonderful and the view fabulous.

Hotels at the Waterfront all pretty much all top notch. The Cape Grace is very posh, as is the Victoria & Alfred, and both are in the middle of the Waterfront. A stay at The Grand Roche in Paarl in the winelands is unforgetable - I think it is South Africa's best hotel.

Have fun!

May 5th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Silvia

Hi, Breakwater Lodge is very close to waterfront area. We always hired a car to Stellenbosch and the wine areas. I think that is the best. You should spend some nights in one of the lovely B&B's in South Africa.And the restaurants in the area are outstanding!!!!!
Regards from Vienna
Silvia

May 5th, 2002, 07:47 AM
joan

Does anyone know anything about the Commadore Hotel at the waterfront?

May 6th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Pat

We had an absolutely marvelous 12 day vacation to S. Africa in March. In Cape Town, we stayed at the Romney Suites: http://www.romneypark.co.za/

Great, comfortable apartments with secure parking for an extra $3 or so a night. (They actually give you a garage door opener.) Its no more than 5 minutes to the V & A Waterfront. They charge extra for breakfast, and I didn't like it too much, so I would pass on it there and go to the waterfront.

We had a two bedroom suite for about $130 a night, and friends took the "Presidential" penthouse. Awesome and about $200. I do that next time for sure.

Jun 11th, 2002, 04:50 PM
evelyntrav

We stayed at the Victoria and Albert and looked at the Cape Grace while we were there. After seeing both, I prefer the V&A for several reasons: The view from our room of Table Mountain was spectacular and not obtainable at the Cape Grace, Victoria Wharf is almost attached to the hotel through a covered walkway, many restaurants are within walking distance, and it is a registered national landmark rather than a new posh hotel. The service was excellent, the included breakfast was a complete buffet plus menu, and they let us check in at 8:00 AM and three days later let us check out at 5:30 PM.

Search this Thread