Search

capteown to garden route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capteown to garden route

if you have a few days to drive the garden route, should you fly from capetown to george and drive around there? or drive from capetown to pletterbay (sp?) if i flew and drove, am i missing out on spectacular scenery?
thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:06 AM

I would drive..the coastal area are worthwhile and you will miss out on most if you fly. If you give me more info i can advice you on routes
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Fluke,

If you had to fly from Cape Town to George this could be your timetable:

<b>Flying timetable. </b>

10h00 Leave place of stay
10h30 Arrive at Cape Town airport
11h30 Depart from Cape Town
13h00 Arrive George.
13h30 Depart George airport
Travel time 3.5 hours

<b> Activities along the way </b>

See Cape Town airport

See Cape Town by air

Sleep on plane

<b> Travel by car details </b>

10h00 Leave place of stay
15h00 Arrive at Cape Town airport
Travel time 5 hours.

<b> Activities along the way </b>

See lots of scenery along the way.

Pass many towns and villages such as Riviersonderend, Swellendam or Riversdale. You might even see some wildcat bungee jumpers at the Gouritz Bridge outside of Albertinia, that is unless you want to do the jump yourself.

Maybe enjoy a light lunch in Swellendam which I must add could cost you an extra hour of travelling.

Most important you will experience another part of South Africa.

There is no question in my mind that driving supersedes flying when it come to Cape Town to George travel. I say this with the expereince of doing the journey at least 6 times a year by car and maybe once every two years by plane.

Fluke, join us in South Africa to see what we offer not to say &quot;I was there and did that&quot; (from the air)

Most important is that I hope that you enjoy your total journey through our great country.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much, this is exactly what i wanted to here!

any must see stops, i will only have three days in the area. where should i overnight for the 2 nights, in one place or in two different places? on the third day or 4th day, fly from that area (george?) to johannesburg. thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Fluke,

I would suggest that you overnight in Knysna as it is central and can act as a pivot from which you can base yourself for two days of travelling on the Garden Route. In this regard I would suggest that you stay in one of the many guesthouses in the town. I have been using Overmeer Guesthouse for the past 9 years and have never ever had a problem at this place of stay which btw has a wonderful view, great accommodation and very friendly hosts. Well priced too.
http://www.overmeergh.co.za/

In terms of what not too miss my first suggestion is consult with the guesthouse management as they will help you in the most friendly and expert manner.

My own personal advice with regards to travel would be that on one of your two days you travel in an easterly direction and visit Plettenberg Bay. Move on through Natures Valley and the Bloukrans valley (Unbelievable forest drives) and make your way to the Stormsriver Adventure village. While at this village do the Treetop Canopy tour. (3 hours)
http://www.treetoptour.com After your canopy ride you can make your way back to Knysna via the N1 passing amongst others the Bloukrans Bridge. Stop in and take a look at this engineering marvel. You might also see some crazy bungee jumpers doing what is the highest bungee jump in the world using the bridge as a platform. After Bloukrans return to Knysna. All in all a full day but an amazing one at that.

On your second day I would recommend that you explore the Western side of Knysna by visiting regions such as Sedgefield, The Wilderness, George (not much to do in this town) and then Oudtshoorn. An interesting day. Task for this day is find the &quot;Map of Africa&quot; when you are in the Wilderness. (ask anybody in the Wilderness where to find this experience) Interesting physical phenomenon to see.

When in Knysna a must do event is to go to The Heads. For a very special and unknown place to have dinner may I suggest you visit Firefly which is run by a mother and daughter team by name of Dell and Sancha. Wonderful experience which you will not experience anywhere else again. Unique and wonderful. One important point is that Firefly can only seat about 30 people so booking in advance is absolutely essential. 0443821490

Finally I think that a 2 night overnight should be fine to see the Garden Route if you use Knysna as your pivot.

Enjoy the journey as the terrain is fabulous when it comes to visuals.

Hope that your Graden Route journey as well as the balance of your stay in our country is a wonderful one.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi fluke,

what Selwyn said.

we drove the garden route last July, and spent 3 nights near Plett at hog hollow lodge.

it was one of the nicest places we've ever stayed, and friends that we recommended it to, said to was the best place they stayed on their whole 3 week trip.

i'm sure that the place that selwyn recommends would be great too.

Knysna is a lovely place, and the boat trip out to the heads well worth doing. if we'd been staying there, we might have done the &quot;featherbed reserve&quot; tour, which takes most of the day, but we did a sunset cruise instead. another day we spent touring all the animal attractions in the area [monkey, elephant, snake and bird sanctuaries] and the third day was spent whale watching off Plett.

on our way to Port Elizabeth we stopped off at the Bloukrans bridge so DS could do the jump.

he jumped, i watched. I'm not sure who was more nervous. we both survived.

as for scenery, the first part out of CPT is not very exciting. but the part after george is lovely.

regards, ann
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

this all sounds great. which is the best city in the garden route to fly out of to go back to jberg? thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Hi fluke,

you'd have to look at the map and timetables to be sure. Your choices are George [the western end of the garden route] or Port elizabeth [the eastern end]. It all depends on how you are going to approach the garden route.

if you drove from CPT to Knysna [a good day's drive] and stayed 2 or 3 ngihts there, it would then be a shortish drive either back to George or onto PE. if you drive onto PE, you will see yet more of the country, though it might be slightly further than George.

we flew from Port elizabeth to J'burg - it takes about an hour.

regards, ann
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Fluke,

Ann, hang on the drive from Knysma to George is a 1 hour drive while the Knysna to PE drive is 3 hours. The difference is huge in my opinion

If you are staying in Knysna I would rceommend the George to Johannesburg flight. There are more flights from PE to Johannesburg that the George-Jhb route but you should be able to obtain a flight that suits your purpose from George.

The only reason that you would want to go to PE is if you are going to do some animal viewing. If this is of importance then the PE flight should be more suitable in my opinion.

Just my two pence worth.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Hi fluke

&lt;&lt;Ann, hang on the drive from Knysma to George is a 1 hour drive while the Knysna to PE drive is 3 hours. The difference is huge in my opinion&gt;&gt;

well said selwyn. but in my own defence i did say that PE might be slightly further than George [from Knysna],

certainly the last hour or so of the drive from Knysna to PE is not much to write home about, and not worth doing unless you are heading for ADDO or one of the eastern cape safari venues. though the sight of the indian ocean coming over the stones and onto the road was quite exciting, especially for drivers on that side of the carriageway.

as evern fluke, selwyn is correct.

regards, ann

and suggested that the OP consulted a map.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM

oops that came out in the wrong order.

I'm sure you can rearrange it so it makes sense.

regards, ann