Search

Cape Town & ????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town & ????

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Cape Town for a friend's wedding. We arrive 28 Feb 2005, the wedding is on 5 Mar and we leave on 12 March. Our plan is to stay in Cape Town in the days before the wedding. Then stay a night or 2 in Constantia where the wedding reception is. Then we had considered a safari for the second week but decided that that was for another time when we could devote our whole holiday budget and time to it. So, we are now thinking the Garden Route and Addo (which seems to be highly recommended on this site) in the time after the wedding. So, my questions are:

1. Is it feasible to do the Garden Route (setting off on the Sunday) with some attractions on the way plus the Addo Elephant Park plus drive back to Cape Town for our flights on the Saturday? I have read so many suggestions on this site of what to do on the way that I'm doubtful whether we can fit it all in!

2. The wedding reception is at Groot Constantia. Is it worth a 2 night stay in Constantia or would 1 night be plenty?

3. Is it possible to get reasonable accomodation in Cape Town itself for under $100 per room per night at this time of year?

Thanks in advance for your comments/recommendations/suggestions!

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM

bermudajo,

In response to your questions:

Question 1. It definitely is feasible to set off on the Sunday down the Garden Route, include Addo and drive back for your flights on the Saturday. It will be a tight 6 days but it can be done.

The way that I would suggest you do this is:

On the Sunday leave Cape Town and sleep over in Knysna for two nights using your time to explore the areas around Knysna.

On the Tuesday morning travel down to Port Elizabeth including a stopover at the treetop canopy tour and stay over in Port Elizabeth or possibly Addo itself.

On the Wednesday visit Addo and do the Schotia Safari (Www.schotia.com)

On the Thurday travel back to Oudtshoorn and overnight in the town.
Have dinner at Jemimas in the evening.

On the Friday travel over the Swartberge as a half day excursion and enjoy this amazing experience. Have dinner at Jemimas in the evening.

Ater this drive move on to a town like Barrydale or Montagu to overnight on your way back to Cape Town

On the Saturday travel back to Cape Town (3 hour drive)

Question 2. If you are arriving in Cape Town on the 28th and the wedding is on the 5th that means that you have minimally 4 free days in Cape Town. I thus ask why are you wanting to stay in Constantia at all. I would rather take the extra days and spend it on the Garden Route so as to make this journey a lot easier and much less cramped for yourselves.

Question 3. Accommodation under US$100 or R600 per night on a bed and breakfast basis can be found BUT it wont be easy especially as you are travelling in high season. A lot depends on where you want to stay and what qualities you expect out of the establishment where you will be staying.

Hope all of the above helps

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the Garden Route itinerary Selwyn. It sounds fantastic.

We wanted to stay at Constantia so as not to worry about getting back into Cape Town after a few glasses of wine at the wedding. How easy would it be to take a taxi back?

We want to stay somewhere within fairly easy walking distance of restaurants/bars etc in Cape Town. I read that Green Point, Sea Point and the City Bowl might be good places that are more reasonably priced. We're not looking for 4 stars or amazing views or anything, but nothing too basic. It looks like we will probably have to stretch our original budget a little. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding area/accommodation that won't stretch the budget too much?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM

bermudajo,

Catching a cab from Constantia to Cape Town will not be difficult but it could cost quite a bit (anything from R175 - R300)

In terms of accommodation you could look at the following venues:

Avanti.
-------
www.avanti.co.za

Tried and tested ranking amongst the best value for money in Cape Town. HIGHLY recommended. Take a look at Avanti's sister guesthouse (Albatross) on the same site - Excellent value for money

The Bay Atlantic
----------------
http://www.thebayatlantic.com/Default.htm

Smallish rooms but wonderfully located in a safe area in Camps Bay. Magnificent sea views and fabulous swimming pool. Hosts are also very friendly

De Waterkant Lodge.
-------------------
http://www.debergkant.co.za/De%20Wat...ape%20Town.htm

Great guesthouse excellently located near to the city.

Redbourne Hilldrop
----------------------
http://www.redbourne.co.za/

Great venue. Very well appointed. Friendly staff and hosts. In upper part of Cape Town meaning that you will need a car to get around or otherwise you could quite comfortably use taxis. In actual fact the venue is a short taxi or bus ride away from all. Away from all the action yet close to it. Excellent prices and great value for money.

Davids
------
http://www.davids.co.za/

Wonderful venue with fantastic hosts. Close to city as well as the Green Point strip where there are many restaurants. Well appointed and has to be amongst the best value in Cape Town. Highly recommended.

Village and Life - De Waterkant
-------------------------------------
http://www.villageandlife.co.za/

Fantastic self catering cottages, flatlets or hiouses. Very quaint and well maintained. Right in the middle of where it is all happening if you stay at De waterkant or Waterfront areas. Close to many great little coffee houses and restaurAnts where you can have your morning breakfast seeing that these venues are self catering places of stay.

Hope all of the above helps

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM

The reply in almost the same itineray I took two years ago, however, my trip was in August. What she doesn't tell you, is that you'll be there in the high tourist season. So. make reservations, especially in Knysna and Montegue (a great hotsprings town)
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your advice/recommendations. I can't wait!