Cape Town hotels

Mar 7th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town hotels

Can anybody offer me advice on the following hotels in Cape Town?
Commodore
Metropole Hotel
Cape Town Hollow
Urban Chic
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM

We are a family of and stayed at the Commodore in December. The rooms were fine and the service great. This is a 4 star hotel, not a 5 star, but it was certainly fine and we would stay there again,as the staff was very nice and helpful, and met our needs.
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM

We also stayed at the Commodore in December. I agree - 4*, not 5* - but the rooms were fine and the staff was great. Very convenient to the V&A Waterfront.
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM

We stayed at the Commodore. It was clean, the food was great, location can't be beat, and the service was really good. The only thing I did not like was the decor. I love five star hotels, but the Commodore totally met our needs. It is a good place to save some money.
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Hi xisco

Metropole and Urban Chic are both newish high-style contemporary urban hotels on Long Street.

Urban Chic is in the thick of things, and makes for great people watching, convenient to many good restaurants, and is a well-regarded hotel that's been open for just over a year now. Metropole is further down ('down' being closer to the foreshore/harbour) and in the less vibey part of Long Street, but also close to good restaurants, Greenmarket Square, etc. It's a bit more self-consciously Ian Schrager-esque and I like it less, personally.

Cape Town Hollow is a recently refurbished hotel directly opposite the SA Museum and right on the Company's Garden. A block off Long Street, it's quieter and less style conscious but still very nice. I have had many good reports from people who have stayed there.

HTH

Kurt

afrikatourism.blogspot.com
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Hi Petrissimo, Grcxx3 & Dr Andrea,
Six of us are also seriously considering the Commodore, mostly for location, for 5 nights in March 08. Does anyone know the difference between a standard double and a business class room? Is upgrading to business class worth it, e.g. what do you get? I had seen a room picture that strongly resembled a basic Holiday Inn room -- is that the standard double?
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice !!!
Mar 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM

We just had standard rooms (have to get 2 - so it gets $$$). They were nothing spectacular - but quite comfy and nice. Don't know about the business class rooms. We didn't spend enough time in the room to justify upgrading to anything.....had to much time hanging out at the Waterfront!