Cape Town hotel recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are close to finalizing our arrangements for an upcoming trip to S.A. However, we still don't have definite hotel arrangements for Cape Town, for 4 nights in late May. I would like to stay in the waterfront area. Although Cape Grace is having a 4 nights pay 3 special, it is still quite expensive. The Victoria and Albert has been recommended, as has the Radisson, Commodore and one or two others. Any experience with these hotels, for location, comfort, service, etc?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

I routinely stay at the Commodore. The staff are friendly and efficient. The restaurant is great.
Rooms, perhaps a few square feet too small, but then for me that is never really an issue as I spend such a little time in-suite anyway.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM

FromDC,

All three of the hotels you mention are well positioned in terms of the Waterfront. They are also better priced than the Cape Grace. I agree with Mkhonzo that the Commodore rooms are a bit small in terms of size however as Mkhonzo has pointed out the service and friendliness of staff cannot be faulted. In my opinion the Commodore would probably be the best of your 3 nominated establishments. Most important is that when making your choices do not forget Mkhonzo’s sound advice that most travelers probably wont spend too much time in their hotel rooms when on vacation in Cape Town.

With all of the above said if I were you I would not look at any hotels in that I would rather consider the De Waterkant Cottages in the De Waterkant area http://www.dewaterkantcottages.com/a...n/cottages.asp

These are fantastic self catering cottages at excellent rates. Very quaint, fabulously furnished with huge, huge, huge amounts of space. The cottages are also extremely well maintained. The cottages are right in the middle of where it is all happening near the city centre (10 minute walk away) as well the Waterfront. (20 minute walk away; 5 minute cab ride away). The cottages are also close to many great little coffee houses, a wonderful deli called Andiamo as well as interesting restaurants. Bearing in mind that the cottages are hired out on a self catering basis information these little eateries could be of importance to you especially for breakfast.

I have had many people stay in these cottages in the past and everybody, without fail, have loved them to bits. These cottages are great value for money and are unbeatable for price especially in the off season.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your stay in our great city.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sadly I have never stayed at the apartments recommended by Selwyn but if he recommends them, I'm sure they're great.

but we did stay 4 nights at the Radisson and I'd stay there again, tomorrow. large rooms, great service, fantastic breakfast, 5 minute taxi ride to the waterfront, etc. etc.

we got 3 nights free with a deal with the mantis group, and paid the equivalent of £100 per room nicluding breakfast for the 4th night.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM

The cottages look beautiful however we have not stayed there.(Maybe next time!) We have rented (twice) an apartment at the V & A Waterfront, near the aforementioned hotels, that was much less expensive than a hotel room. Also they have a full kitchen, washer and dryer, security guard and the units are well-maintained and comfortable. We have used 'Village and Life' as well as 'Rentals in Cape Town' to book. Have a great trip!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM

We have stayed at the Cape Grace (it was lovely) and last time we stayed at the Commodore - also quite nice. We also have rented an apt just behind the Cape Grace, in the harbor area.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Selwyn, You've given me a great idea for our stay in Cape Town! Those cottages or apartments might be much better than trying to figure out how to keep our family of 5 together in a hotel.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Agwwimmer,

The De Waterkant cottages are fantastic for family living and I recommend them highly in this regard. I have just written a mail to a future visitor of mine (couple and not a family) which I will part copy for you as it could be of value to you.

De Waterkant cottages
---------------------
20 minute walk to the Waterfront or city centre

Easily accessible for cabs to collect and take you to and from home.

Safe neighbourhood during day or night.

The Winter rates at De Waterkant are in my opinion the best value for money in town.

Outstanding furnishings with all the mod cons.

In a wonderful Bohemian type coffee shop neighborhood. Many little shops, coffee shops, deli etc.

Much to do in surrounding area.

Very close to the city centre

Close to some good restaurants. Gingas, Savoy Cabbage, Gold, Africa Cafe, Tank, Pigalle, Beluga, Il Leone etc

Self catering (no breakfast) yet serviced on a daily basis for normal household cleanup such as linen, cleaning etc.
With regard to the no breakfast function my opinion is that having breakfast in a different coffee shop each morning could be good fun.

Staff are available for advice and helpful in this regard.

In summary agswimmer the cottages are a wonderful place to stay where one obtains great value for money and enjoys a venue where whatever you will need when in Cape Town is available to you plus more.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

thanks Selwyn. I checked out their website and the cottages look so nice, and you can't beat those winter rates!