Cape town - car hire and whales

Sep 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Cape town - car hire and whales

Need advise on best rates for car hire in CT.
Very safety conscious, so looking for dual airbags and ABS models. Also want all inclusive for no hassles eg unlim mileage and no excess. Seen Avis, Tempest, Allaround mentioned favourably to on past discussions - any updates / advice?.

Also - is it worth us going to Hermanus to Whale watch mid December - or have they all gone by then?
Sep 27th, 2005, 10:02 AM

These guys are great for car rental, have used them a few times over the years. Very reliable, free drop-off and pick-up. Their rates also compare pretty well. Unfortunately, don't know about the whales.
http://capecorporate.co.za
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM

Definitely no whales in December except maybe the first few days of the month and then you would be extremely lucky. However, Hermanus is still worth a visit - it is a vibrant seaside resort.
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Shame about the whales - we might keep going down the Garden Route - we hear the R62 inland is the way to go for if we have time from Winelands down to Wilderness area. Thanks for your replies.
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Earlier this month we drove from Stellenbosch to Hermanus along the coast - drop dead gorgeous country. Some notes and a few pictures on my website, http://home.comcast.net/~gardyloo (Africa 4 page)

We used Europcar and were quite satisfied with the vehicle and price.
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow - great website - what a journey. Your comments about the Shanty towns and people in Cape Town were very well written.

Thanks for the tips we may have to come back via the coast and out via the R62 ... could be a lot of country driving!
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We hired a car through www.africarhire.com. They are an agent for Hertz and their rates are all inclusive (unlimited mileage and no excess). We had no problems and the car was great.
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM

David123, we drove from the Winelands to Oudtshoorn on the R62 which is called the Route 66 of South Africa. It was absolutely magnificent with constant change of scenery. Most of the time we were on the road all alone, for miles and miles ...
Make sure to drive the Swartberg Pass while you're in Oudtshoorn. Another highlight of our trip.
Then come back along the Garden Route, after having visited Tsitsikamma Natl Park).

We rented from Avis and were quoted a price all inclusive. No surprises afterwards and we felt we got a good price.

Check out their 'international visitors special' on http://www.avis.co.za (check regularly and book at the right time 'cause conditions change often, the zero excess usually remains).
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM

David123

When I saw your original question I thought you might have problems hiring a car with airbags as they are not compulsory in SA. I then did some phoning around and I happily found out that all the major car hire companies do hire out these type of vehicles. With that said if you are so safety conscious I would definitely only hire a car from either Avis, Tempest or Budget car hire as these are the big three and have offices in most areas. I say this because in case of breakdown you can rest assured that you will have instant help if not a swop out car while in Cape Town.

Unfortunately the whales will not be in Hermanus in December but simply travelling to the town is a fabulous scenic drive and as has already been mentioned the town is a very quaint little village. Fair warning in December there are going to be lots of local holidaymakers in Hermanus so the roads are going to be very busy and all the other factors that go with big crowds such a long lines at restaurants etc will be prevalent in the town.

Hope the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

We went with Africahire.com in end who are agents for Hertz. All others were either inconclusive or wobbly regarding dual airbags and ABS brakes.

Got a good all inclusive rate (miles and no excess) of R310 per day - and assurance that Hertz Group U cars (Ford Focus / Polo Classic) DO have the above features. Very speedy and professional responses to my "weird" enquiries too.

Hopefully Hertz are "national" too Selwyn - per your advice. They seem to have a lot of branches across the Rainbow Nation.

Will update actual experiences once we've had our trip in December!

Hugely looking forward to our trip now. Really can't wait - 1st time in South Africa. Have been most excited by the most excellent postings by Fodor-ites too on Cape Town and its environs.

Search this Thread