Notices

Can anyone recommend binoculars for safari?

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend binoculars for safari?

Hello,

I'll be spending four days in Kruger N.P. for my first safari in late September, and would be extremely grateful for advice on what binoculars to bring. I'll be away from home for a total of 6 weeks and so prefer not to lug around a pair heavier than necessary, but definitely not at the cost of detracting from the safari viewing experience. As an occasional birder, I currently own one pair of Bushnell 8x42 and one pair of Celestron Outlook 8x25 binoculars (weighing 10 ounces), and must admit that I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

So, I'm wondering whether people think a lightweight pair of 8x25 binoculars would be good enough, or whether larger lenses (and/or perhaps magnification) are essential. In either case, it would be incredibly helpful if you could also recommend a specific pair of binoculars, up to a mid-price range.

Many thanks.

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:46 PM

Either one of the pairs you currently own should be fine, I'd lean toward the pair that is more familiar and comfortable for you. The 8x42s will give you a wider field of vision, making it easier to find smaller creatures, however I get along just fine with 8x25s. Bon voyage!
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've never been on safari, but if there is much lowlight -- early morning, dusk or heavy cover -- the Bushnell's larger objective lenses may be helpful.