Search

Camel Rides

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camel Rides

Hi...I am visiting Egypt on a Gate 1 tour in September and was wondering if anyone took a camel ride, and what was your experience. How much was it? How long was the ride? Did you feel safe? Any recommendations?

Thanks for any info. you can give...
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Do a camel ride so you have had the experience. Not confortable but try it.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
P_M

Be very careful of people near the pyramids offering camel rides. When I was in Egypt our guide gave us the following warning: Sometimes they will quote you a price, but then once you have finished your ride they will extort a higher price to make the camel lie down for you to get off safely.

I did not do a camel ride in Egypt but I did in Morocco. It was OK, but I could live the rest of my life very happily without ever riding a camel again.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM

Managed to go 4 years in Cairo without getting my little (big!) behind on a camel. But I'm with P_M, if you have the opportunity to do it somewhere OTHER than the pyramids, that would be my choice.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Not exactly on topic, but, wonder if anyone else out there connects "Gettysburg" and "63" like I do?
Why such screen name?

regards - tom (a Billy Yank)
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM

Didn't ride camel in Egypt, but did in northern Kenya. No cost, it was fun and cocktails were waiting at our destination, so made the experience worthwhile.

What I learned... "a camel is not a pet!" They spit and drool. Would I do it again? Probably not!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your info. and opinions...

Tom - your connection with Gettysburg and "63" is correct...I'm actually from Illinois but am a major Civil War buff. So, I'm a "Billy Yank" too! When I think of the camels I'll see in Egypt, I can't help but think of our efforts to use camels during the Civil War...
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I did take a camel ride at the pyramids which was organized by our tour guide. I can't swear what I paid but I remember thinking it was a good price. If you need to know I can look it up. Like many of the others I can't say that I loved the experience but I was glad I did it. I felt safe because my tour group was doing it together. I too was warned never to do it on my own. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM

gettysburg63 - just back two weeks ago from 14 days in Egypt. We went on the camel rides near the pyramid, but like jerseysusan we were with a tour group and did not have to deal with the realities of paying the camel handlers. I agree with P_M about the legal extortion you will experience when you dismount. Even though our handlers had been paid in full with their tip, they still tried every means to get a little extra. I don't begrudge them for trying, it is just the system that exists there.

We also went for camel rides in a Bedouin village near Hurghada. This was a more pleasant, less hurried experience since we were at the village for the whole day.

One word of caution to you. Watch others as they get on the camel and watch how they position themselves as the camel rises. The trick is to lean back, far back as the camel stands up because their hind legs stand first, putting you at a precarious angle (unless you are leaning back). Do "stuff" you can't do at home. Have fun. Make memories.

tC
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I, too, rode camels as part of a tour group. We paid $20 each for a 45-minute ride.WeI LOVED it. Thought it was really fun - a "don't miss" experience.
Our handlers, likewise, tried getting tips from us when we dismounted, even though our tour guide was taking care of the tips. When our guide realized what was happening, he yelled at the handlers and insisted they give back the tip money to those who had succumbed to the pressure. Aside from that unpleasantry, it was fabulous experience. Lean forward when they go uphill. Lean back when they go do downhill!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I rode a camel in Australia as part of a tour group, and I remember thinking it was an absolute riot. I'm used to riding horses and the stride is quite different.

Watch what others do when they get on and the camel stands, and same for when it's time to get down. Be prepared to laugh and you'll have a good time.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
BKP

We rode camels in a Bedouin village near El Gouna for the experience and at the Pyramids for the photo! At the pyramids I held my 3 year old son on my lap and asked that we not do the big loop. I just wanted the handler to position us in front of the pyramid so my husband could take the picture! It's fun . . . but I didn't like the getting up and the getting down -- love the photo though!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM

There is a large camel "stand" at the overlook for the Pyramids. Our guide negotiated our price which was 10 EL or $8. Tip included. The ride was from the overlook down to the 3rd pyramid. Quite satisfactory for me, although if it had been longer I wouldn't have minded.

The boys did ask for an additional tip for taking our photos on the camel and helping us off the camel. I had my $1 ready and "let him haggle" me into another $1. If figure if the poor kid can lift me off a camel I can help fund his future back surgery.

So Just Do It.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM

If you are going to Aswan, you can ride a camel out to St. Simeon's monastery.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Our tour group took a camel ride near Aswan to the monastery mentioned above, and then on to a Nubian village. The entire ride took about 2 hours, including the 15 minute stop at the Monastery. I, and most of my tourmates, considered it a highlight of our trip. As others have said, be sure you negotiate a price up front--and do not succumb to pressure to increase it at the ride's end. A tour guide would help in this respect.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I rode a camel at the Pyramids in Egypt--long enough to get a photo. The photo--PRICELESS!

One lady got bitten by fleas, another got "saddle sores"--yuk
It was all arranged by our tour guide.

They are nasty animals, and realllllllllllly tall--hold on when they get up, and go down.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM

When thinking about camel riding (to do or not to do), remember camels are farm animals. When riding any farm animal, I think one can plan that they might have fleas, flies and other annoyances that you might not love.

To keep from getting saddle sores, be sure to wear appropriate clothing. Long pants are best, but at least cover up the parts of you that will be in direct contact with the camel or saddle.
And my most important hint on clothing is DO NOT wear thong underwear if you are going to be on the camel more than a minute for a photo op. You will have blisters in places you don't want them.
Hint #2, don't ever let the camel man up on the camel behind you. He probably will try to take advantage of the situation if you allow that.
Hint #3, If you negotiate a ride and are afraid the camel man may try to take you for more money later on - do this - take his photo with your camera. When it is all done, you can take that picture to the police. The police of the area will know the camel boys and can help you get your money back.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM

We did the camel rides at Giza as part of a group and while it was great fun the guy I had took me away from the group and tried for extra money. You have to be firm with them and not let them beg.... I took the advice of taking his picture first and pointed it out to him when he started harassing me - it helped a little (thanks). The stupid part about the process (and the whole baksheesh system) is that if they left me alone I'd probably give them more and spend more on their souveniers too.

Oh, and one of the Tourism Police did help me with a camera shot angle for wich he wanted a tip. OK, so I gave him $1, he told me it was worth $5, so I took the dollar back and said, I guess you want nothing and walked away, suddenly he was willing to take the $1 .....
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:20 PM

For what it is worth, the Tourist Police doing the jobs that you saw are notoriously underpaid. They make less than $100 a month, so perhaps that explains why they feel the need to ask for tips for doing next to nothing. The ones in Giza make a load of money off tips, but I have to feel more sorry for the ones in Sakkara, Memphis and Dashure. They are way out there without the crowds to shake down, so if you are helped by one of them, give em the $5 if you have it. It will make their day!
I am amazed at how often if the guy asks for more money, the tourist will give it to him though - I think that happens mostly with the touts. It's as if it is their job to say you didn't give enough, and then the confused tourist says "OK then, how much do you need?" And especially when you are working with Egyptian money, it's like spending Monopoly Money for the first week and you let loose of it pretty easily.
Glad taking the picture helped some.