Best places for camel and horseback riding in Egypt

Mar 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Best places for camel and horseback riding in Egypt

Well, there's certainly a of planning going into our two week trip to Egypt next year but one thing I know for sure is that a camel ride and maybe horseback riding, will be a part of the trip. Since the camel rides at the Pyramids have a pretty bad reputation, where else could we look? I'm planning through Lady Egypt who has suggested a camel ride in conjunction with a trip to a Nubian village and lunch with a local family outside of Aswan. Has anybody out there done this? What did you think? Also, since we might do a two night trip to Bahariya Oasis (one night hotel/one night camping) are there places to ride camels out there? Or, maybe the FB Stables outside Cairo for a sunset horseback ride and camels some other time? Anything I might be missing?
Mar 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Go with NB Stables. Next door to FB.
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM

I must be one of the only people who is visiting Egypt and is not keen on a camel or horse ride!!
Mar 6th, 2010, 03:55 AM

I'll give you my thoughts on this in a few weeks.. We leave in 7 days for our trip to Egypt (first timers!).. part of our plans are a two night camping trip in the desert on camels from bahariya oasis.. I think it might be the part of the trip I am looking forward to the most!

The camping trip we are taking is through the minemar hotel at bahariyah.. the info if you are interested is at

http://www.minamar.com/camel_egypt/camel_tours.htm They also offer some other packages which include stays at the hotel..

Have fun planning the trip.. we have been planning this 3 week trip for the past six months.. the planning has be fun.

John
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM

We are in Cairo as I type and went on a sunset Camel ride with FB stables.

I can say that I was ambivalent at first, but my girlfriend wanted to do it.

I can also say that we had a really good time. We went yesterday (friday) and we must have been the only tourists in the dunes behind the Giza Pyramids. The ride was fun and we got to spend as much or as little time on the camels as we wanted. We got a dune with excellent views of the Giza pyramids and the sunset and the "guide" took many, many pictures of us. We were also able to spend as much time as we wanted out on the dune.

What made it even more memorable was that there were hundreds of locals out in the dunes riding horses. Some of the guides family were also out and set up a tent and bar-b-que with a view of the pyramids. We were invited to join them and had a great time! All in all were out on the camel excursion for over 4 hours.

The camel ride was set up by Lady Egypt, who we are travelling with. I will be sure to give a detailed review when I return in a few weeks.

So far...its been grand!!

doc
Mar 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM

doctorjohn - out of curiosity, what did all of that cost you? Was there a separate fee for the camels and another for the tent and BBQ or did you just pay once? Very curiuous to know what they get for all of that. Sounds like it was a marvelous time. Thanks.
Mar 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Casual_Cairo, NB Stables are better than FB? In what way? I couldn't find a website but did read a review that they treat their animals humanely and they are frequented by a lot of expats. I'm sure they'd be easy to contact when we're in Cairo. When you talk, I listen. Thanks.

doctorjohn, I second Casual_Cairo's question. It does sound like a lot of fun. I checked their website but couldn't find prices. I just sent them an email, so I'll pass that information along when I get a reply. Lady Egypt has sent me a proposed itinerary and since a friend had a good experience with them, I'm considering letting them arrange some of our trip - maybe.

john16 - I'm looking to your trip report. I've just marked my calendar to start looking for one and please tell all

later...
Mar 10th, 2010, 11:42 PM

FB seems to be getting well knows because they had the foresite to make a web site.
NB is the stable of choice for Expats here that board their own horses or ride frequently.
NB is well known for having the healthiest animals in the area.
If I have my facts straight, Farouk(I think) of FB, is Nasr's of NB uncle. They are next door to each other at the pyramids. NB has at least one more big stable away from that section of Giza - down south a bit... called NB2.
Mar 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM

The cost of the sunset camel ride was 35 USD per person.

The bbq was a coincidental thing as the guide's family just happened to be show up and started setting up their tent...there was no cost for that part of the trip, and there was no baksheesh requested. We just got along with the guide really well and the invite was a sincere one.

Sometimes you luck out and get an authentic experience when you least expect it.

BTW...still on my Lady Egypt trip and things are going marvellously. Many other toursits are jealous of the service I am getting with my guides and drivers. I will report more when my trip is over. In Jordan, awaiting my trip to Petra in the morning!

doc
Mar 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM

That was lucky and fantastic. 35USD for all of that is not a bad price at all!!! Unfortunately, it was just dumb luck that got you the BBQ. Too bad everyone can't experience that like you did. I'm glad you loved it so much. That's what we all want!
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

doctorjohn, did you take a Nile cruise? If so, which ship and how was it? I'll gladly wait until you return from your trip.
Mar 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Jahlie,

I did go on a nile cruise. I flew from Cairo to Abu Simbel to see the temple than flew back to Aswan to board the boat.

I was on the MS Crown Empress. It is a Travco boat (Travco is the biggest tour operator in Egypt).

The boat was nice. Its quite big. The room were average. Not 5 star quality of not bad. Most of them had a small juliet deck, tub and shower, tv.

Food was of the typical blah buffet variety. You won't starve. But you won't be wowed either. Their egyptian night was a joke....I was expecting traditional egyption food but got dumbed down food that I am sure wouldn't even pass as egyptian food anywhere else. I was craving McDonalds but did resist.

The deck is nice. There are many chairs and refreshingly cold pool (it was quite hot when I was there).

The sites (Phillae, Kom Ombo, Edfu, Karnak, Luxor temple, valley of kings, valley of queens, hatschepsut temple were fabulous. Karnak was especially good.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a few days.

doc
Mar 12th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

doctorjohn,

Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I'm thinking about making arrangements through Lady Egypt and have been sent an initial itinerary. They quoted a Travco ship but now I know I want something a bit nicer. I was wondering about the "Egyptian Night" advertised on many of the ships and I'm not surprised to read your comment. If it were up to me, I'd pass on the cruise and just base myself in Aswan first and Luxor second, seeing the sights from each. However, my husband and our friends who are traveling with us really want a cruise. A night in Abu Simbel is a must for me - I can't wait. We're going in April of next year so if it's hot now, it will be hotter then!

I am glad to hear the guides were excellent - that's always a good sign. I hope you continue to enjoy the trip and again, thank you for your honesty.

Jahlie
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM

defintely stay overnght in abu simbel - either at the nubian house (simple b&b owned by nubian family - very nice people - but we stayed at the 5star resort hotel which was very nice because the family did not have their internet working at the time. go back at dawn to see the site - beautifully lit if you are a photographer. we also enjoyed walking through the small town.
Nov 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Dr John...$35 USD for a four hour camel ride? I just spoke with Karim at FB Stables and he quoted me 160 egyptian pound, so ~$32 USD for ONE hour on a camel. It seems too much! Just want to confirm (thanks for all of your info! we're heading to Egypt January, 2011).
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I just returned from Egypt and went on a camel ride even though I didn't really want to. I did it for my husband. Aamer from Lady Egypt took us in Aswan. I think it was on the side where the Nobles tombs was. We went behind a dune and it was quite barren without many other camels, which I guess is the goal of the thing. I have no idea who he booked with.. we just said we wanted a camel ride and he organised it on the morning for approx 100 Egyptian pounds each I think.
Nov 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM

About how long did you ride MissGreen? An hour or more?
Nov 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM

And, (I should have asked this above) did Aamer ride with you to oversee everything and make sure you weren't taken advantage of or disrespected?
If not, did you feel respected and well taken care of by your camel guide?
Nov 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Casual Cairo.. Aamer rode with us and zigged and zagged back and forward to my husband and I to make sure we were ok. I am glad he came with us. We each had a "camel helper" walking next to us. We only rode for an hour but only because I was a bit nervous. They wanted to ride "off into the sand dunes'.. but I wanted to stick to the "safe areas"... the sand dunes were too steep for me... I really was a "chicken little" but I was glad I did it in the end!
Nov 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM

I meant to say that I was glad aamer came with us as I did not feel super confident about our "camel helper's" level of English and quite often I sung out to Aamer that my camel (called Noor by the way) was going too fast and I needed to slow him down to a slow walk... instead of a medium walk! lol

At the end when I gave them a tip, there was a bit of discussion with Aamer and the camel people. I didn't feel uncomfortable during the trip, but I did now. I thought I hadn't given enough. I asked Aamer and he said what I gave was more than enough. He said he was just working our arrangements for taking others with him. They all got our their cell phones and exchanged phone numbers.. which I thought was a hoot! Ah, techology knows no bounds!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO