Search

Cairo- woman alone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairo- woman alone?

my daughter will be traveling to Egypt for a school program, and wants to arrive in Cairo a few days early to visit museums, etc.

Is it acceptable, or even a good idea, for her to be out and about alone?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Repeat after me, Cairo is safe. Cairo is safe. And Egyptians will go out of her way to help her out if something goes wrong.

My sandal thong broke one time and a woman absolutely insisted that I use her sandal to walk home for a new one. Can you imagine that happening in the US?

Have someone write down where she is staying in Arabic so she can show a taxi driver.

The worst she has to worry about is being taken advantage of price wise. Or walking across the street.

Of course, she should wear shirts that cover her shoulders, and no cleavage, and knee length or below skirts or pants. She'll see tourists who are wearing these and she'll be amazed at how tight the clothes are of some of the young woman who wear scarves & cover their entire arm. But it's just better not to do it at first. After she's here for a while she'll figure out what us appropriate and where.

You might send her some extra money so she can get a guide to take her around.
Debbie Senters who is an American woman handles this sort of thing. She posts her as casual cairo.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM

I was in Cairo a few years ago and was with a tour group. However, I did get out by myself the first night and had no issues at all. I wouldn't have a second thought about going to Egypt (Cairo) again and I would go without a group. I felt very safe in Cairo - equal to other large cities. But it really does depend on your personal comfort level. If you aren't comfortable walking around New York City alone, you may not want to walk around Cairo alone (or London or Paris or Rome...).

Carrie
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
P_M

Debbie (Casual Cairo) is highly recommended by many people on this and other message boards. Here's her web site:

http://casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM

I found the Cairenes as cosmopolitan as anyone in New York or Paris, and very friendly. I did not feel scared. And, crossing the street was a huge adventure, very fun. sunshine007's advice is right on the money.

How long is her school program? If it is long enough, maybe you could go visit to allay your concerns.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM
dmlove

<i>Or walking across the street. </i>

This cracked me up. When we returned from Egypt, I said my most enduring memories will be the Temple of Karnak in Luxor and crossing the street in Cairo.

We also had no issues, and would not hesitate to go out alone in Cairo.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone- I feel much better- except for the part about crossing the street!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Cairo is the city where every Kombi in the world goes to after it dies, then they get another 10-20 years out of it. They are all white and the front points to the sky because they have no rear suspension. But they only form a small part of the 8 gazillion cars on every street. To cross the road, we had two tactics; look so pathetic someone eventually shows sympathy and helps us, or attach yourself like a shadow to an old woman and follow her, hoping she was not planning to commit suicide that day. The only hassle my wife and daughter had was because they had blonde hair, many of the local women often just touched their hair when they walked past. Other than that, they never felt unsafe at all anywhere in Egypt. Although a guide at the museum did want to buy my daughter for one million camels and two cats. No deal, because I don't like cats! Your daughter should be fine.

Regards

Peter
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Rules for Crossing the Streets in Cairo

- find an older person (the older the better), offer to assist or simply grab onto their galabaya (long robe) and move with them

Coming from NYC we know traffic, but Cairo is an adventure. No one seems to adhere to traffic signals, maybe they do when there's a human attempting to direct, 2-lanes of vehicles easily becomes 4, never saw a childseat, use of seatbelts, etc. etc.

So figured the older people, had it worked it out and have stayed alive... go with them!!!

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
dmlove

<i>No one seems to adhere to traffic signals</i>

What traffic signals ?

Seriously, one afternoon, we wanted to cross the street to a place to eat (McDonald's, in the interest of full disclosure!). There were three or four lanes of traffic in each direction, separated by a wide median (at least there was someplace to stop and rest LOL). The way to do it is to look left until the traffic thins, then make it across one lane, look again and wait for a break and make it across another lane etc. It's totally crazy!

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Cross with the oldest Egyptian you can find crossing the street the same way. Not because anyone reveres the elderly or cares that you are with an older person, but because that person didn't get old, being stupid. They know how to cross the streets!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM

&quot;they didn't get old being stupid.&quot; loved that.

Yeah, you have to cross one lane at a time. And look! Amd if it's Ramadan, then it's even worse. Think of all those crazy drivers going for 14 hours without food or water. It's frightening! I've had to grab each friend who's come to visit by the arm and yank her back because she forgot to look before she walked....