Bringing Food into South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being from Canada, I would love to bring some maple syrup as a hostess gift, but am wondering if I will have a problem at customs.

The SA customs site doesn't mention anything and a Google search on "bringing food into South Africa" yielded no results.

If there is any doubt, I will bring something else- I would hate to have that 'liquid gold' confiscated!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM

Can't attest to SA specifics, however, if the food items have been factory manufactured, in a sealed container... my guess is that Canadian Maple syrup will be fine. Though I think they have maple syrup in SA, that may even be imported from Canada!

It's usually fresh fruits, meats, unprocessed cheeses, flowers, that are "no-nos" Those dogs found at Baggage Claim are good at sniffing* out that orange (or apple) provided on the flight, which legally you can't bring in to most countries.

*even if you carried a sandwich in your carryon bag during holiday, when entering a country, these 4-legged critters will smell that also.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM

Goldilox,

I have had 3 visitors in the past 4 years bring me Canadian Maple syrup and there never has been a problem at SA customs. (Must add that a drop or two of this syrup is wonderful to use when frying salmon.) In my opinion you can quite safely pack it into your bag and bring it into South Afica. Just hope that the bottle does not leak. .

Enjoy our great country when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:43 AM

mmmm maple syrup, i love that stuff!

I plan to take some specialty teas to SA.

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM

South Africa has locally produced "Maple type" syrup (can't remember exactly how it is described), along with several other "flavours".

The "real thing" imported from Canada is available too, even in the likes of Pick 'n Pay, although not very common. But that certainly doesn't mean that the gift won't be appreciated, it's very expensive here when found. About R65 or more.

Late last year I eventually "broke down" (miser that I can be) and bought a bottle. It's great, but if I have any criticism it's much "thinner" than typical local syrups. And so difficult to use sparingly!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM

This is a question on the side. Does anyone know what the inspection team at Dakar is looking for? On this halfway fueling stop two guys come aboard your plane and match each luggage piece with a passenger. Don't bother with what's inside each. But then they do a thorough search of the passenger seats, including taking the seats apart!

ozarksbill
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM

You will be just fine bringing maple syrup in my aunt from canada has been bringing maple syrup and pistacchio nuts in for years!