South Africa: Views on Pregnancy

Jul 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

South Africa: Views on Pregnancy

I will be visibly pregnant for my trip next month to South Africa (Madikwe and Garden Route). I am wondering if there is anything I should know about in terms of views on pregnancy. For example, if a pregnant woman from Europe orders a glass of wine in some places in the U.S., she might be criticized. Are there things that just aren't done? Views on things that shouldn't be eaten, such as salads? Thank you.
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
sandi

I believe what you drink or eat is determined by your discussions with your physician. If he/she has no problem with your having a glass of wine... then have one. Admittedly, American's (and I'm one of them) should mind their own business. Likewise, what you eat. South Africa is a first- world country with (sadly) third-world problems... but you shouldn't have any problem getting healthy food and if you eat salad at home (whichever country) you should be able to eat salad in South Africa.

The only thind I cannot advise is your comfort level on game drives while at Madikwe... just how bumpy the rides may be (something to discuss with your physician). But I would definitely suggest you or any woman to wear a sports bra.

Enjoy your safari and time on the Garden Route.

Jul 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM

And if the roads are really bumpy, two sportsbras work even better than one. I'm not kidding.
Jul 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I cannot fathom any reason to be concerned about what others may think. Eat, go, enjoy, and do what you want to, and be guided only by your physician's advice and your personal wishes.
Jul 7th, 2005, 02:59 PM

The only concern you may have is in regards to the vaccines and malaria tablets-if you choose to take them. I know when a friend was pregnant and traveling in South America-she required different medications than we did and had to go to the health dept. for certain meds while the rest of us were able to get them from our general dr.
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:38 AM
sandi

If visiting at Madikwe - this is a non-malaria area, so meds aren't required. As to any other general inoculations recommended for travelers - Tetanus, Hep-A, Polio - you should discuss with your physian. And if the answer is No, then No it is.

Jul 8th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

I understand all the medical issues and have consulted with my physician. That said, if there is something that I could do that might shock or offend, I would like to know about it so I can make an educated decision about whether to do so. Like in Laos, generally women shouldn't ride on top of boats -- it's a local custom or superstition. Or as in the U.S. as I noted, an innocent pregnant tourist might order a glass of wine and be verbally attacked. Is there anything like that?
Jul 8th, 2005, 06:25 AM
sandi

No strange customs that I found, heard of, saw. It's "live and let live" as best I could tell.

Maybe a SA resident can comment whether there are signs re pregnant women drinking or smoking or whatever - displayed next to those for the Heimlich maneuver (for chocking), if even these... I don't recall seeing these.

It's your vacation - as the song says "don't worry, be happy" and enjoy your trip.

Jul 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Game drives can sometimes, in parts, be as bumpy as horseback riding. If this fits within your notion of acceptable activity - go for it.
Jul 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM

One thing about Madikwe that may be beneficial in your situation is that they generally do less off road driving there (although I don't know which lodge you're staying at) so may not get bounced around as much. Also, the soil there is more hard, and tends to make the gravel roads a little less bumpy. If you're going in a month when it is still wintertime there, take warm clothes, because of the higher elevation at Madiikwe, it is quite cold there in the mornings.

Search this Thread