Search

Boulders Beach Penguins

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boulders Beach Penguins

Having seen the famous "city slickers" documentary about the penguins at Boulders, we'd very much like to include this in our November trip to SA. We'd like to do this as a day trip from Cape Town in our hire car. Does anyone know if the penguins are around during the daytime? I only ask because we saw fairy penguins at Phillip Island in Australia and they were only visible when they came out of the Ocean at dusk.

Also, what's the deal about viewing the penguins, do we just turn up and wander down to the beach to see them, or is there a specific area with admission charges (again like Phillip Island)?
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM

Hi Gordon_R

Recently at Boulders, here's my short photographic report:

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=2496

there is a pay beach where you can swim with the penguins, or walk around the other rocky beach areas and you will be approached by many inquisitive "friends."

Matt
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM

They are there pretty much throughout the day along with all the tourist. Hire a kayak and paddle around from Simonstown if the weather is fine.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Gordon R

No matter when you visit the penguin colony you will always find penguins on the 4th Boulders Beach also named Foxy Beach. Overall there are 4 beaches on Boulders Beach with the main penguin viewing beach being Foxy Beach

If you want to swim with the penguns you can generally do this at the first of the Boulders beaches however dont let me raise your hopes as the possibility of penguins being on this beach are rare and swimming with the penguins means that they will be about 10 foot away from you at all times. If you ask me swimming with the penguins is not really worth the effort as they are always so far away from you.

Kayaking around Foxy Beach is worth it as the penguins could well be swimming all around you.

To view the penguins there is an entrance fee of R25 per person to Foxy Beach. This allows you entrance to a boardwalk which is a wonderful viewing paltform to spend time watching these wonderful birds that cant fly.

All in all a great experience that always works come rain shine or inbetween.

Enjoy the colony and our city when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Hi

They were out and about when I went there in March this year. Check out my trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Cape_Town_trip_report.htm . I'm sure you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great information! I love the idea of swimming or kayaking, but we're not strong swimmers, so best to terra firma I think.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM

seeing the penguins at boulders is the opposite experience of seeing the evening march in australia.

in south africa, at boulders beach, you are essentially dropping in on their community which lives in a wide section of beach. you park your car at one end or the other, can even stay nearby at a penguin themed b and b, or dine in a penguin themed cafe and buy your penguin souvenirs.

you pay admission to go down onto the beach on either side of a (free) walkway that runs above the scene. walking along the walkway you can see plenty of penguins, as they nest right below, and there are open snatches where you can see the beaches.

the only similarity is that it is a major tourist attraction and there is an admission charge. otherwise, it is less an "event" to see the penguins. they are always there.

also, they are loud and smelly! but still cute. the drive is very straightforward and the area is well-marked and on the scenic drive toward the cape national park, which is also something you should drive yourself to.

kerikeri