Botswana Safari pics

Aug 17th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Botswana Safari pics

I was trying out a new slide scanner and wanted to try making an album on the OFOTO site so this is from my safari in January of 2003 to Duma Tau, Duba Plains, and Mombo.

It was hard to limit my number of pics but I cut it down to a reasonable size. Lots of wild dog and lion photos. Beware -- wild dogs are on an impala kill and while I have left out some there is plenty of blood around.

http://www.ofoto.com/MyOfoto.jsp?aut..._hom_sign_ret&

It's my first time trying this so let me know if I don't have it set up correctly or something. Enjoy!
Aug 17th, 2004, 07:58 AM

You know, it's pretty hard to look at photos at work and pretend you are working!

I couldn't get the link to work so I'm safe for now.
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:33 AM

PB you can't just cut and paste the address line when you are viewing your own album. Just go to the SHARE ALBUM tab and put in your own email address and send yourself an email inviting you to your own album. Once you receive the email you'll find a link right at the bottom of it. That's the link you need to give us.

Kavey
Aug 17th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Try this: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=jjigq2q...e&x=1&y=6ctl1j

Thanks Kavey! I thought I might be doing it wrong.

Sundowner: Let the pretending begin.
Aug 17th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Great photos PB. I know you said you cut it down to a reasonable size but more...more...more!

The wild dog photos were cool! I really liked the one that did look like the German Shepherd.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Interested to know what kind of scanner you bought. Is it a designated slide scanner or a tabletop model?
Aug 17th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Okay, PredatorBiologist, I did not get caught. I'll have to look again tonight and take more time. Definitely. These photos are great! You saw some beautiful animals. I love the lions and dogs and hyenas - ok, everything.
Aug 17th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Yeow! Those are great. Now I have to go to a meeting and talk about business rules with some IT types. bummer. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
--Diane
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Great shots of the wild dog pack!!! You and others have certainly raised my interest to what previously was an unknown species to me.

I wish feeding in my household was as "orderly" as the wild dog pack. *s*

I hope fortune shines on me and I am able to spot a few on my upcoming trip.

Love the hippo shot along with its caption referring the bush hippo bush folk tale.

Thanks for sharing
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I have one word for you:

G O R G E O U S ! ! ! ! !

Aug 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad everyone is enjoying despite my initial tech glich!

We were certainly blessed with some great viewing -- especially of male lions and the wild dogs which was my top desire for the trip.

Divewop: it is a table top scanner -- HP 4670 ($200). It seems to scan pretty quick with decent resolution for 4x6. It definitely does not catch the full color or sharpness of these slides though but good for the on-line album kind of stuff.

GreenDrake: I hope you see wild dogs too. They will surely be a highlight and I look forward to seeing your photos when the time comes.
Aug 17th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Amazing amazing amazing!!!

Wild dog photos are incredible - how close were you?

The hyena photo is one of the best I've seen - fabulous.
Aug 17th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

RuthieC: We were parked only about 20-25 feet from the kill. Some dogs came much closer though such as the laying down close-up (Impala ring around the collar dog)who decided there was no better place to lay than in the shade of the vehicle about 5 feet away. I still feel amazed to recount the experience.
Aug 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM

When I type in the ofoto address, I get a message that the page is unavailable. What am I doing wrong?
Aug 17th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Absolutely riveting! =D>

Of course, the pictures of wild dog were wonderful. I'm so jealous. I really really want to see them next time.

Surprisingly though, I especially enjoyed the Giant Eagle Owl; I've never see an owl on safari - not yet anyway.

Thanks so much.

Deb
Aug 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Brit: The link in my first post had a problem, I corrected it in my second post. Use this http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=jjigq2q...e&x=1&y=6ctl1j
If you still have a problem e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you an invite directly to the album.

Deb: I really enjoyed the giant eagle owl! Owls are one of my specialties as a biologist, in fact I just got in from photographing barn owls here in Colorado tonight. We also saw a barred owl at Duma Tau, interestingly their barred owl is almost identical to our Northern pygmy owl (same genus in fact) and nothing like what we call a barred owl. I'm pretty sure I will be leading an African Wild Dog trip coordinated with research biologists in Zambia next July so if you want guaranteed dog viewing with puppies let me know.
Aug 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM
sandi

WOW!

Absolutely outstanding!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and share with the rest of us.

Aug 18th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Thanks for sharing. Your wild dog kill photos reminded me very much of our experience. We were about 15-20 feet away and saw, in some instances, a little too much detail

Search this Thread