Back from Zambia !!!

Jun 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Back from Zambia !!!

Hello All

I got back from Zambia last week after spending 8 nights in the Lower Zambezi National Park. I spent 5 nights at Chiawa Camp and 3 nights at Sausage Tree Camp.

I normally do video when on safari but I decided to try using a digital SLR this time. I took the camera out of the box used it in Zambia for the first time. I did not know what I was doing half the time so please accept my apologies the the quality of the photos (a link has been posted below).

I have never been a bird person before, but Zambia has changed that! Please correct me if the names of the birds are wrong.

I will provide more details of the trip soon, but some of the photos have stories in their titles.

Enjoy

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/ShareL...2_832413270133

If the link does not work, please copy and paste the URL in to your browser
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM
johan_belgium

Gaurang,

I really enjoyed watching your beautiful photos!

Greetings,

Johan

Jun 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM

So nice to see such recent photos. We leave in less than 2 weeks but will be in South Luangwa and across the river in Mana Pools. We're looking forward to the details!
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM

The link I'm getting seems to be your personal link and is asking me to sign in as you!

Best way to share the link is to use the Share tab and send the email inviting friends to see your photos to your OWN email address. At the bottom of the email you receive will be the link to give out to others...

Jun 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
africnow

Loved your photos. Especially the monkey on the shower head and the lion cubs playing with daddy!
Thanks!

Jun 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Great photos -- I really liked the martial eagle in profile. Thanks for sharing,

Michael
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Your photos are terrific, I loved the action sequence of the lion cub crawling on daddy's head. This must have been very special to see in person.
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the encouraging comments.

Kavey...I just tried the link and it goes to my slideshow (i.e. click on the first picture).

Kodak Gallery with non-Internet Explorer browsers (e.g. mozilla firefox) does cause problems sometimes, as I found out recently when working with different browsers. It may be worth a try.

Jun 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Ah, I'll try it using IE instead!
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Ah, I have discovered the problem! I was trying to view it whilst logged in so I could leave comments on pics but apparently my account at kodakgallery.com doesn't work for kodakgallery.co.uk! Oh well!

Lovely photos - some absolutely great ele shots plus wonderful images of the smaller things like crickets and butterflies and so on! Also really appreciate the accommodation pics too!
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Oh and meant to include all the wonderful lion cub ones too - absolutely fantastic pics - really special! A couple of the ones with Douglas and a small cub are magical!

Jun 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the kind comments.
Regarding Douglas with the cubs, he is the most caring pride leader that I have seen in 10 years of safaris. He was very relaxed and really enjoying his time with the cubs.

But then again, Douglas is the first male lion that I have seen who has no competition from other males, and that also means the cubs are safer in that respect. It was a truly relaxed and happy family.

The guides told me that there was another male with Douglas, but he was killed last year by buffalo.
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Loved the images, loved the captions. brilliant!
Cheers
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Oh what fabulous photos!! Thank you!!

The lions, the leopard, that magnificent tortoise, the ellies, the majestic birds. It was as if the camera was looking at their insides as well as their outside.
Jun 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM
santharamhari

Gaurang,

Great pics, thanks.....some great pics of elephants, birds and yes, Douglas and cubs too.....

Now that you tried SLR...what is your first choice for ur next safari? SLR or video? If i remember right, u hv a Botswana trip coming up.......

Thanks again.

Hari

Jun 5th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

I'm happy people are enjoying the photos.

Hari...I leave at the end of October and I will be in Botswana for 1 month. I will do both options, but probably more video than stills. I hope to have my final itinerary for Botswana confirmed this week.

What will you being doing during your August trip?
Jun 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM
santharamhari

Hi Gaurang,

Your trip sounds awesome!!! One month must be fantastic....pl share your itinerary when you r confirmed.

As for me.......i start at Phinda Forest lodge for 2 nights and do their walking safaris for 3 nights. Then do 10 nights at Kwando camps (3n Lagoon, 4 n Lebala, 3n Little Kwara)/////mid-august trip......

Regards
Hari

Jun 5th, 2006, 01:25 AM
santharamhari

Gaurang,

Sorry....misunderstood your question....i will do bit of both, but, mostly stills....

Hari

Jun 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello All

I have done a short comparative review of Chiawa and Sausage Tree camps, based on our experience.

It is a tabled document, so it is difficult to post here. If anyone is interested, please email me and I will send you a copy as an attachment.
[email protected]
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hari, I really look forward to hearing about your trip, especially the 3-night walking safari.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO