Search

Botswana - April 2007

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
skimmer

Botswana - April 2007

Hello everyone,

I'll just be back from a fantastic trip.

Duba Plains: was beyond belief again and I was glad to see that the young male lion (aka Junior) is still there as are the Duba Boys. Of the two litter of cubs (6 in total) I saw last October survived only one cub. Without any doubt, the best camp in Africa if you want to see lions in action.

Mombo: I had an excellent time despite the fact that the Boro floodplains (Boro West) couldn't be reached due to the high flood levels. Leopard and cheetah are not that often seen as it used to be in the past due to the high concentration of lions in the area. The pack of dogs they used to see are probably the ones they see quite frequently in Chitabe. We saw Legadima once but no signs of the cus).

Little Vumbura looks quite beautiful and is still a great camp to visit due to the good general game they got there. At a certain time, we saw 11 calves (sable antelope) and the daughter of Big Boy provided us some excellent sightings as did Patrick (a male cheetah).

From my own experience I'll think that driving around in some concessions in the next months will be a bit of a challenge due to the water levels.

Elephants were already plentiful in all three camps.

Birding was still good (despite the fact that most summer migrants already left). I counted +/- 140 species.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome back. Glad Junior is doing well. He's probably not so junior anymore. How did the Duba Boys look?

Looking forward to more info and of course those fantastic pictures of yours.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Welcome back Johan! Sounds like your sightings were awsome and it was a really worthwile trip. I wish we were going to Duba! maybe trip after next.

Look forward to the slideshow

Cheers
Jude

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Trip after next? They're stacking up!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Hi Johan,

Welcome back!!! Sounds like you had an awesome trip!!!

Rgds,
Hari
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:52 AM
skimmer

Thank you all - it was indeed a rewarding trip.

One of the Duba boys was mating with Silver Eye and the other lion was seen feeding with 3 lionesses at a buffalo kill at the crossing for Paradise.

They still looked the same and no one knows how long they will be there. I have heard so many predicitons about that, that we just have to wait and see.

Due to the high water levels, the guides at Duba didn't manage to go to Paradise (even not in summertime).

I met lots of people like Spencer (at Maun airport), Newman at Chitabe airstrip, Brookes at Duba Plains and so many more ... I had a great time with everyone but if I had to mention one person, it would be Moalosi. We had top notch gameviewing and had lots of laughs at the drives and the dinner table.

The brunch at the hide at Mombo and the private barbecue in the camp there, were very fine experiences. And I was glad to here, they gonna change the landcruisers for landrovers again.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:53 AM
skimmer

glad to hear instead of glad to here of course.

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:53 AM

I had to chuckle when I read one of the brothers was mating with Silver Eye when you were there. That's just what was happening when I was there in Aug 2006 so it seems like that's all they do.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM

great pics and welcome back.
did you get to see your namesake at duba? and if so how did the 5 bros look? also, can you describe where the boro foodplains are at mombo. I know the areas well but dont know the names. is it where the mathata pride hangs out to the south of camp? and did you see any other leopards at mombo besides legidema? im curious whos in charge now that burnt ebony isnt around anymore. thanks a lot

scott