Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Booked Tanzania portion - I'm so excited - how can I wait until January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's taking everything I have not to post here every 5 minutes with comments/questions......!

Went to the Tilley Warehouse sale yesterday (Tilley HQ is in Toronto) and bought a few things - including some matching clothes. Well, we didn't set out to look like twins but they happened to work for both of us. Prices were really good.

Not doubt we will have a blizzard of questions - my husband is now concentrating on our camera and a new camera - and binoculars? Need to figure that out too.

So.......on to planning Namibia! (spassvogel - why did you mention fly-in safaris to me????!!!!!) They look magnificent but oh so $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's my next mountain to climb.

It's funny - over the past 5 years we have had many wonderful trips - Asia, South America, Australia, New Zealand.............but I am so over the moon excited about this one!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM

It's good to hear that you are so excited! AND - you have the very best reason for it: Traveling Africa!

Regarding the fly-in Namibia: That gets you to really exciting landscapes....There will be alsways another chance ;-)

Anyway - TAZ in Jan is fantastic! You will witness the calving season (Wildebeast) and the big cats plus very nice landscapes too!

We also did Asia a couple of times as well as Australia at least 5 times. We were very fond of these destinations. But then we "discovered" Africa. We cannot but return to that continent - got into our blood somehow. Africa even smells special....

It's only 4 months for you (I don't count Aug;-) ) but 5 for us

Watch as many wildlife documentaries as possible. A good appetizer for wildlife is:

www.http://www.wildearth.tv/home

It features Djuma/Sabi Sands/South Africa. You can join their game drives LIFE and watch the Wild dog den.

Enjoy!

SV
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

SV - If I was a betting woman I would say we'll do a fly-in safari in Namibia - will make it work somehow!

I think you are right - Africa seems to be calling to us.......
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Count me in..for the list of January Dreamers to Tanzania!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
TC

We, too, are counting the days until January Tanzania. What to do? I've shopped for clothes, taken photos of them all and created a digital/visual packing list. I've purchased and read The Safari Companion (Guide to Watching African mammals) and Wildlife of East Africa. I had my TiVo set to record any program that came up about Africa - until our house took a lightening strike last friday and all our electronics were fried (but that's another story). I'm in physical therapy to get my bum hip ready for the 24 hour flight. I stroll through the Tanzania web sites routinely to just look at the photos. I read the Forum daily. We bought our new Leupold binoculars (great sale in the scratch and dent room of Cabelas), monogrammed duffels from LL Bean (free monograms with their cc), now we are shopping for a camera to replace the one that DH swore was the "be-all, end-all" camera on our last trip.

It is hard (and costly) to wait. Sighhhhhhhhh.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

TC - I'm impressed with your preparation - and suddenly feeling I should be doing more

Great book suggestion - thanks!

We are also camera shopping - what are you looking for?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
TC

Hi Eliz. We're Pentex people. I've had Pentex film and digital SLR. Now DH wants a bigger, better Pentex SLR. He and my brother get their heads together and compare notes and you know "boys and their toys". LOL We are a bit concerned about having really good long lens as I don't think we'll get as close to animals in Selous as we did in Serengeti. We also love the birds and want to make sure we can get fab birding photos. I'll post more when we're closer to a decision.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM

TC, are you the one & the same that did that fabulous trip report back in 1999 for KY & TZ? If so, you are the first report in my index & I just wanted to apologize for referring to your report as 'his' - not sure what would have made me assume you were a 'him'!

Elizabeth, at least your 'still going' instead of 'already back' as I am.... All of us in that position will live vicariously through your posts, please keep posting!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
TC

Hi LyndaS, Yes, <i>one and the same</i>. No worries. I was flattered to be included. Hopefully I'll have another great trip to report next year. I've been waiting 10 years. Your work on that index is amazing BTW. Such a gift to all African travelers. Thank you.