Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why all the recent censorship on this forum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to comment on the surging South African Rand (and failing U.S. Dollar), only to revisit a thread from a couple months ago to find that replies are no longer possible on the thread.

Then, I scanned down to look for an innocent enough message that I posted last night titled "Brother, can you spare a dime?", that was nothing more than a link to a very interesting Island property for sale in the middle of the Zambezi River near Livingstone (Victoria Falls, Zambia). NO MESSAGE. Deleted in its entirety. WHY?

Other messages have recently disappeared that showed what I believe are links between Ker & Downey USA and Ker & Downey Tanzania.

Does everything have to be sugarcoated in this forum? Do we all need to be treated with kid gloves? Is this forum really better by not discussing passionate subjects such as trophy hunting and the operators that support it?

I think this is the best Africa forum on the internet, but if we are not going to be free to discuss issues that are vitally important to us, and are restricted to a narrow range of travel topics, then this board will soon be no more helpful than a guidebook.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 03:16 AM

There you go again with your dig at K&D.You appear to have no shame.It would have been better if the other post had been left up so others could see what you did.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:10 AM

The posting of the advertisement for the island for sale was blatantly commercial and was rightly deleted.

The other threads were only partially about hunting and were more dangerous attacks against specific companies, resulting from an incomplete investigation. Although I'm sorry all the good parts of the discussion are apparently gone, Fodors would be correct to remove the thread in its entirety rather than rely on a small apology buried deep within one of the threads (and which was subsequently reneged upon).
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:03 AM

Why is it surprising that a thread with posts bordering on libel would disappear? If you want such posts to persist on the web (at least for awhile) simply launch your own website.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:42 AM

Roccco - By all means continue your anti-hunting crusade. But, quit letting your 'passion' fog your thinking. Your comments are loaded with petulance and innuendo.

The part of the world we're talking about may be large in area, but it's tiny in population. Botswana, for example, has less people in the entire country than each of the top 10 USA metropolitan areas. Out your way, Orange county alone has twice the number of people.

You will find connections and overlap everywhere! From the suppliers of food, transportation, generators, building materials, Land Rover conversions, on and on. Don't be so arrogant and quick in assigning blame for or assuming profit from hunting.