Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would someone from Fodors please tell us what is happening to this forum?

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:39 AM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have been posting all week on the different weird things going on on the forum and the problems they have had posting. Every time I refresh the posts are in a different order, and many posts are showing up high up on the list at like #1-10, but then the exact same post shows up as number 50 or 60. It is maddening. It must really be confusing the new people who have a hard time figuring out how things work here in the first place.

What is happening and is it going to get better? When? Please, give us some insight and hope.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:17 AM

I don't understand the problem.

Posts are displayed in order by the last time there was activity on the thread, most recent at the top.

Yours, "Would someone from Fodors please tell us what is happening to this forum?"

0 responses; most recent on 10/06/2005, 08:39 am

Yours shows in exactly the correct order, between a thread at 8:37 and one at 8:40

Try deleting your history and clearing your cache. Use refresh on your browser.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Now I can see some problems, when I go from first 50 messages to #51-100. It appears there was no activity from 3pm yesterday until 8 am this morning. Each "next 50" seems to jump over a significant # of threads.

Or has Fodors invented a time machine, embedded in the "next 50" button?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:36 AM

It's irritating that when I reply to a message it takes a little while for it to be "topped". There's some kind of delay. I can switch to another forum, hit F5 to refresh, close the browser and re-open it...and NADA. It will update when it is good and ready.

Perhaps this is because of the upgrades that Peter promised? Causing some technical difficulties?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:50 AM
GoTravel

It is wacky today.

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:13 AM
emd
Original Poster

rbx, I don't think it is just my computer as others have been posting on these things also.

Someone from Fodors should really address this and tell us what is going on. It has gone from bad to worse in last few days. It is so bad that I really would have expected that they would have posted a message on the front "Talk" page about it. I am so frustrated that I ready to take a vacation from the forum til it gets fixed, but I am planning a trip to Asia and can't really afford the "time off" right now.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:16 AM
emd
Original Poster

rb, will you go to the Asia forum and refresh a few times and see if the posts change every time you refresh?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Yesterday, I tried to post on the airline forum and it wouldn't take. I went to other forums and then back to airlines and the message didn't post. Hit the back button until I was back in my message and posted a reply to it. Still wouldn't post. Went through that again. Then logged out, re-logged in and tried posting again. Still no luck. While over on the airline forum the order of questions would change around along with the number of replies DECREASING. Ended up posting on USA forum without difficulty. Later that day, the messages posted on the airline forum (both of them) and the first response was date-stamped about 2 hours after the original posting.

Weird. And no, I didn't contact Fodor's about it.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Growing pains ?

How old is this website?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
GoTravel

Helloooo!!!! Anyone home?

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Hi emd, what is happening on this forum is that it is not working properly, LOL. Funny the editors haven't noticed isn't it?

When I type a post even though when I later click on the thread and my post is there the # of post listed do not corresponde to the actual number of posts that posted (gads that sounds like a tongue twister doesn't it?).
And posting does NOT bring the thread up to the top like it should. Take care!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM
emd
Original Poster

Where is Peter Kay? I though he was in charge of cleaning things up and making the boards more usable. Is he on vacation?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM

YEAH, where is Peter ****Kay**** ?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:58 PM
emd
Original Poster

maybe he is busy doing the "booting" thing.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Yea, lots of weird stuff. I click on my name to check my posts and there was nothing from the last two days --despite my posting a lot in those two days. Double clicking and refreshing didn't add anything.

I go through the first 50 messages on the US board and then go to the second 50 -- there are a bunch of the same messages that were already on the first page.

I've posted messages and seen them there, but return an hour or so later and see the last several messages missing (and no there's no reason to think they were removed), but then I come back another hour or so later and there's the thread with ALL the messages back again.

Are they trying to drive us crazy or what?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I dumped all my temp files and cookies (mainly related to earthlink access problems) and that helped.
M
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM

arrrrgh...click, click, click....that's all I do. Soon I'm going to have to see a physical therapist to help fix my poor index finger.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
emd
Original Poster

Patrick, it's having that effect, whether it is intended or not.

I am not playing around here and complaining for no good reason (and certainly not because I have too much time on my hands). I am trying to plan a trip to Japan and have a long thread going on the Asia board regarding my itinerary, and several other threads going on that board regarding questons I need help with before I book hotels this week.

Anyone listening out there?

Can you hear me now??
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM
E

Sigh. Peter Kay seemed happy to throw his weight around a few weeks ago--where is he now, pray tell??

Sorry for the nasty tone, but I get cynical when a forum so many people depend upon, that is "staffed" by volunteers who add to the value of the Fodor's brand without recompense, is alternately bullied and neglected by the mighty Editors.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM
emd
Original Poster

There is always www.japan-guide.com

I prefer the advice I get here on the Asia board though.

Fodors, get your head out of the sand and speak up, please!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -