Search

Bobby Shuttle Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bobby Shuttle Service

Has anyone tried or heard anything about this shuttle service from Nairobi to Arusha ? We will be travelling in February 2007. We would like to travel by land as opposed to air, but have heard wild stories of car jackings and packed, hot buses. If we could find a reasonably comfortable and safe vehicle for this trip we would like to go that way. Any help appreciated.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I don't think I took Bobby, but I did take one of the "nicer" shuttles. I didn't have any problem with it--enjoyed it, in fact. But I suppose if one had never been on a bus in a developing country (I bussed all over Central America in my salad days ) it could seem hot and crowded. But these aren't the chickens-on-the-roof kind of busses, if that's what you're asking.

I was comfortable, but not extremely comfortable. I was glad I didn't have a hangover.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:39 AM

Their services are good.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Why not take a private transfer? This way you are more flexible on time and do not have to worry about packed hot busses!
You can take a private transfer from Nairobi to Namanga border and then have your tour vehicle pick you up on the other side of the border! Or you can be transferred to Arusha.
The Nairobi - Namanga road is frequently used by many tourists and hence well monitored by the Tourist Police Unit. No incidents have occured as of late...
regards,
Sonal
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM
sandi

The bus costs aout $20 each way, while a private transfer is very expensive. If more than 2-people, it could be worth it.

We did the bus from NBO to Arusha once, and one-way only. We refused to be punished for a return trip. And while Leely didn't find any chicken coops on the top of her bus, neither did we, but sure were expecting them. The bus was full and hot and not very comfortable.

When you compare the price of a private vehicle transfer vs flight to JRO w/ transfer to Arusha, the flight may actually be cheaper or a wash (even).

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did receive an email from Bobby Shuttle...the luxury shuttles (25 seaters) are not air conditioned. I would like to travel this way but think I might like to have the air with that many people in the vehicle. We may spring for a private car, but have not heard the price for that yet. If it is the same as flying I think we would still like to drive and see that part of Kenya. I will post prices if I receive them...thanks again.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:00 AM
sandi

The flight will probably be somewhat less costs, but then you have the transfer to/from the airports on both ends.

And with private transfer, you can do from NBO to Namanga and have your Tanzania outfitter meet you here for drive to Arusha... so get total price NBO/Namanga and Namanga/Arusha to compare with air prices.

Believe me, not only are the buses not air conditioned, but the windows are often closed... it can get "ripe" inside.

We did the drive on a Sunday morning with little traffic, while lovely, there really isn't much to see as the driver has a schedule to keep. Scenery is nice, but honestly, it's quite pretty from aloft!

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

I have received a price back from Bobby Shuttle for $250.00 for an airconditioned car for 2 people from Nairobi to Arusha. Does this sound reasonable ? I think the airfare would be about the same or a bit more, but we would like to do the land route I think. Thanks everyone.