Denali National Park Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a tour into Denali National Park and would like to go to Kantishna. Is it better to take a bus tour or to take the shuttle bus through the park? I've heard that the bus tours have more comfortable seat if you are going all the way to Kantishna but the shuttle bus is cheaper. Another concerns is how full the shuttle bus will be and will it be hard to get back on if you stop and get off at different locations. Thanks, Jamie
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:44 AM

For clairfication- there is no difference between any of the buses, all are heavy duty, school bus type buses. I never recommend Kantishna as a day trip. You have to go with one of the lodge buses because if you go on the shuttle, it is all private property and you are very restrictive in where you can go. Essentially you can just about only step off the bus then back on. No hiking etc.

The day tours are not recommended by me either- most of the time is spent on the meal with little if any time for any activities, very costly option since these tours run about $125. Kantishna is definately worth overnights.

Otherwise consider the shuttle to Wonder Lake for 1/3 the cost. Bring your own lunch. However- be forewarned, it can be over run with significant bug problems. So much so, I never go that far until mid August or later. Just not enjoyable for me.

As for bus seats, generally there are seats available on the shuttle buses with at most in season an hour wait. If a bus is full, the driver will tell you approx how long before the next bus.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:04 AM

I know, that there is a private operator, who brings the visitors during a day tour to the Kantishna Lodge and back to the park entrance. You will get a lunch at the Lodge and you can do some gold panning.

I have heard, that this tour is not worth the extra costs ($115 vs $32,50).

Better you take the shuttle bus towards Wonder Lake. The Kantishna valley is very narrow and there is nothing to see from the road besides tree's.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:55 AM

I agree to skip Kantishna !!

Take an early morning shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. We did it last august !
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:08 AM

Jamie--I'll fourth the advice--shuttle to Worth Lake--we did this, saw lots of wildlife--our bus driver was great at spotting and stopping for pictures. I remember being totally baffled by the buses before we got there, but it is very clear when you get there and the Park Service personnel are super helpful.

Have a great time--it is a spectacular place.

Mary in D.C.