Search

Binoculars

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binoculars

We want to purchase a pair of binoculars for Africa. We don't want the very best, but something adquate. We will probably not use them extensively after the trip but want something servicable and satisfactory. Any ideas - and should they be "roof lens" - is tht a stipulation. Something in the moderate rate. I know they have binoculars. Do you feel we should have an extra pair or two. There will be six in our party.
Thank you.
(And did you find all those filings of necessary papers somewhat trying? No problems with that?
Did you put down Kensa as l entry and obtain Visitor's Pass?
thanks fo much. There is a lot to consider.
Look forward to your help.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:55 AM

For me, binoculars are the single most important thing I take with me -- even more so than a camera. I used to think that binoculars were binoculars were binoculars until I got a pair Image Stabilization, and that changed everything. Fuzzy and shaky became vivid and clear.

If you're headed to a place such as the Masai Mara, which tends to have lots of flat and treeless areas, good binoculars become even more important, because you'll have the opportunity to see creatures at much greater distances than at more hilly or treed locations.

I can recommend the Canon 10x30 IS binoculars -- they're $340 at B&H.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:02 AM

I've always been annoyed by binoculars in the past -- somehow they seem hard to focus. But I was really happy with the pair I used on safari.

I used Bushnell Hemisphere binoculars. Obviously there are better (and more expensive) binoculars around, but I was looking for something that was compact, easy to focus, and under $100, and that worked even if you wear glasses.

For 6 in the party you definitely want more than 1 set.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM
sniktawk

rizzuto

I heartly agree with your endorsement of the Canon IS binoculars, although a lot of birders do not endorse them. They are now remarkably cheap my pair bought 4 years ago were in excess of Sterling 500.

Old May 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM

I have the Canon 10x30 IS and I love them. I agree that birders don't like them but I think they are great.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM

I have let more than 100 guests try my Canon 10x30 IS on game drives and most said they were going to buy some. the rangers kidded me that I would have made a fortune if I had been selling for Canon on comission.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you; I will probably go with the Canon 10/30 IS which you recommend. There are so many different types and prices, so I appreciate your help!
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Nothing beats a Leica or a Swarworski but at a close second best are the Nikon Monarch's - try the 8-42.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I love my Leica Ultravids 10x42, but these are for really fanatical birders and wildlife watchers. A lot of friends go for the lighter 8x38 sizes. I also have a pair of Zeiss 7x50, but they are now too heavy for me.

Bushnell are great for entry level and Opticron are good for medium level. I think that you should try to buy a pair each, then you have more spotting power and they can be adjusted to suit your own eyes. One pair between 6 would be hoplessly frustrating. You could try to get some second hand. Even if they are older in style, they would be perfectly servicable for your needs.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Why do birders not like the Canon IS 10-30s? I'm not a birder yet, but I may become one on my trip, and I don't want to be stuck with the wrong expensive binoculars!
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Good question I25, wondering same myself.

regards - tom
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Do the Canon 10x30 IS work well with glasses?
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I think the birders prefer larger optics such as 10x42 which lets in more light for low light situations. You can get 10x42 IS Binocs but they are quite expensive (>$1000). I suggest you try out the Canons and see for yourself. I am really sold on the value of IS.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
sniktawk

Do not worry what birders think, see if you can find somewhere to try them yourself and see if youi like them. IMHO I think it is because they arec not traditional I have Swarovskis also the optics are good but I just prefer the no shake.

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM

The Canon IS 10-30s look great. I noticed they use batteries; do you go through a lot of batteries with these? Also, do you know if they still work (without the image stablization) if the batteries run out?
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Birders are fanatical about seeing the most detail possible. Without going into boring details about lenses, high end binos like Swarovski's have better quality lenses than the less expensive binos like the Canon IS's.
So the image quality is better and more detail can be seen, if and it's a big if, you can hold the Sawrovski's steady enough to make use of their optical advatage.

Expert birders practice tricks to help them steady the binos, including bracing their arms, controlling their breathing, etc. The average person will not have these skills and their environment will not be conducive to being steady. You will be doing most of your viewing in a vehicle with other people who will be moving and causing the vehicle to move. So for the average person, IS binos are usually the best fit.

To make a bad anology, think of the Swarovski's as a F1 car, in the right hands nothing can beat it but give it to the average person and they would wind up in a ditch. The IS's are a Corvette, not as high end but everyone can drive and enjoy it.

The IS's do require batteries and are a little heavier than other binos but their advantage more than compensates for these issues. In any event, go to a store where you can try different types and make your own decision. If you try the Canon's, don't turn on the IS at first, look at something and then turn it on. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised when you press the button.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I use lithium batteries in my Canon 10x30 IS. They are more expensive, but much lighter and long-lasting than alkaline batteries. On safari, I also used my rechargeable AA camera batteries, since I was constantly charging batteries and always had spares. But I have since discovered how great the lithium ones are. I use them regularly, and the batteries last for many hours of constant use. I would never buy another pair of non-IS binoculars. The binoculars still work when the batteries run down, but the image stabilizer does not.

For what it's worth, I also bought a binocular harness -- available for around $20 or so at B&H and others -- before my safari. It takes all the weight off the neck and shoulders, and prevents the binoculars from swinging when walking. It's the best $20 I ever spent, and I will never have binoculars hanging off my neck again.

Enjoy everything you will see clearly with your new binocs!
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I've never yet seen a birdwatcher put batteries in their binoculars. For birdwatching, you should have binoculars in the range 7-10x32-50. Try them out before you buy, to get a pair that suits you. Top brands are Leica, Zeiss and Swarowski and some of their ranges are fairly lightweight, but they are expensive. However, you can buy second hand bargains. Look for binoculars that have adjustable eyepieces, so that you don't have to remove your glasses when using them.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Don't know about the UK, but on most pelagic birdwatching trips in the US, you'll see birdwatchers putting batteries in their binos.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM

The Canon 10x30 IS are the best binos we have ever owned and we have many. A new set of lithium batteries lasted us 12 days on safari with constant use.

cj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -