Bewildered beginner - where, when?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a year or so we've decided to "go on Safari" for a combined 25th wedding anniversary/50 year birthday for my husband.

Initial thoughts are safari, perhaps a luxury lodge, and then spend a romantic week on a beach on the way home - in Africa? Or somewhere else - Maldives? (Not SE Asia - we know that pretty well)

Probably will have a maximum of 4 weeks.

Connections into Africa are through either Johannesburg or Dubai.

At this stage I am overwhelmed with choice, as we don't even have a country narrowed down. If you had one chance to go on safari where would you go? South Africa? Namibia, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania or somewhere else?

Would you relax on a beach in Africa, or save it for somewhere else?

Bewildered Beginner
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM

So much to do in South Africa. Wilderness Safaris has a camp in Rocktail Bay on the warm Indian Ocean side. Depending on time of year you may have an opportunity to assist with Turtle Research-unforgettable. A particularly romantic way to see South Africa is by train. Check out http://www.Rovos.com for one of the most romantic experiences where you are pampered beyond belief. All meals, drinks(fine wines,spirits) and off train excursions are included in the fare. Some of the routes include safaris and multiple countries. The exquisite train station is located in Pretoria just outside of Joburg-great way to get over jet lag before entering the bush. Check out my photos on http://www.picasaweb.google.com/okap...eprideofafrica
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:40 AM

I have not done a safari in South Africa - but most people I know who have gone loved it. BUT - I think SA would be a great place for a romantic week somewhere. Now, I am not much of a beach person, but the winelands north of Cape Town are spectacular and Cape Town itself is a great place. I think you could have a great time!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM

I would prefer East Africa, There are very nice places, bushes and beaches am sure you would love it and you will enjoy your Anniversary/birthday.
All the best
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM

What kind of budget do you have?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Indeed. Q no.1; budget!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Time of year? Month?
Weather is different as is game viewing depending on when traveling.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM

If going to East Africa (probably best value) in Nov. through April would recommend Kizingo at Lamu Island. A delightful place with even more delightful hosts. That time of year can go snorkeling with the dolphins.

We went in last August when too murky for snorkeling but still very much enjoyed our stay.

If I had once chance only, would do Northern Circuit in Tanzania, then Masai Mara and Samburu in Kenya. Reason: see lots of game, would catch the Migration in one of the two countries. Then finish up at Kizingo.

Kevin from California
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Fodor's has a book called African Safari that is a good place to start. It's a thin volume that really helped me get my bearings and narrow down the big picture options before I delved onto the details. All the choices and information here can be very overwhelming. I definitely recommend starting with this book.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Linda - what a lovely problem to have.

based on our recent experiences on a much shorter trip to SA, here are my ideas.

1. Fly into Amsterdam and spend a few days there, to recover from jet-lag, gather yourselves for the main event, etc.

2. From there, fly direct to Capetown. stay there one week. [we stayed at the Radisson, and you'd have to go some to beat it]. [if you think that's alot of time in CPT, try to get hold of the book 7 days in CPT - amazon stock it - you could easily spend your whole month thee, there is so much to do]

3. now you have a choice - you could do what we did and drive along the garden route up to Port Elizabeth, then fly from there to Jo'burg and onto Kruger for a safari, or go straight to Jo'burg from CPT.

4. Finally, you could go to the Maldives, or Kenyan beaches, or Seychelles, or Zanzibar..

OR you could do the safari bit in Kenya &/or tanzania - but please don't miss out CPT.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I knew I'd get a good variety of opinions here!

Regarding budget - we're prepared to splash out for somewhere really special (ie one of those luxury safari places or a great beach resort) but otherwise would want to average not much more than US$200 per night for accommodation.

Timing - we're flexible based on when is best to go to see maximum animals/get best experience.

I've read a bit about Zanzibar in terms of beaches - Anyone been there and like it?

I assume we could do the safari thing in Kenya or Tanzania too? Anyone have a favourite?

Not too bothered about seeing wine regions etc in South Africa - live an hour away from one of NZ's best - so really want to focus on doing things that are completely different.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM

ann: I believe they would be coming from New Zealand (that is why she speaks of Joburg or Dubai) so AMS would be a bit out of the way.

Linda:

Budget of $200 per night will make it pretty difficult to get good gameviewing at a nice place. Unfortunately, might be lucky with such a budget to even go budget camping in East Afica. Africa is a pretty expensive place now.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM

East Africa is no bargain except perhaps compared to Botswana.

From reading reports on this forum it appears that the best value safari is self-drive self-catering in Kruger in South Africa. Self-drive in Namibia (Etosha and...?) might also be a possibility.

Start searching this board. It will be tight, but I would be surprised if you couldn't piece something satisfactory and even sublime together with the help of this forum.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM

$200 per night for the room, or, $200 per night per person ($400 total for room)?
regards - tom
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM

$200 per night for accomodation - do you mean per person or total? Safari lodges typically quote on a per person per day basis. The rate includes accomodation, all meals, and game drives (but not tips for your ranger, tracker, and camp staff).

As I mentioned earlier, this forum is very overwhelming. The book I suggested will give you the basics and then you'll be able to filter through the information here without feeling like you're going to throw up. I'm so happy I came across it first.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I would self drive in Kruger for that budget and becasue its a honeymoon, blow the diffence on a beach at the end of the trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry, linda, missed that you are coming from NZ.

advice to spend time in CPT still stands though.

regards, ann
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Hello Linda

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniverary and 50th Birthday for your husband.

As a romantic trip to Africa which also combines a beach holiday I would recommend a two-centre trip to get the best experience, where you could go to somewhere like the Seychelles which is known for its paradise beaches, one of the islands such as Praslin, or the East African coast combined with a luxury lodge safari. I believe Zanzibar and Mozambique are lovely but have not been myself. A lot of romantic holidays and honeymoons go to Seychelles for 1 week and 1 week Safari and I believe are to be highly recommended.

Namibia is outstanding for African beginners as it is very easy and safe. There are some lovely lodges and the desert dunes and Vleis of Sossusvlei and the Rhino in Damaraland are amazing. I can personally recommend the Mowani Mountain Camp as a very lovely and romantic place to stay. The benefit about Namibia is it is very easy and safe and you can easily get yourself around if that is a requirement. This is a great trip for people wanting to self-drive. Namibia has great Game in the Etosha National Park.

Namibia has beaches, but I don’t think the kind you’re looking for. Swakupmund which is the main town is loved by Namibians but I found it was a bit too much like a miserable old English seaside town, I really didn’t like the place, and it is known for being very grey, foggy and chilly, because of the weather off the Atlantic. Just a bit further north it is the skeleton coast, the length of Namibia’s western flank, and this is a wild, cold Atlantic world where you wouldn’t be doing ‘beach life’ but it is stunning.

Botswana lodges are a step up again from Namibian lodges and are very luxurious and romantic, but come with the price tag, and very often the only means to get to them is by flying in and out, adding to your costs, so it depends really on your requirements. Botswana is land-locked so has no beaches, but it has a lot of very beautiful water on the amazing Okavango delta, and Botswana is known for some of the best game in Africa.

This month’s Conde Nast Traveller magazine has an article all about Sun, Sea, Sand and Safari and focuses on South African’s (eastern) Kwazulu-Natal Region which could be well worth you having a look at.

Very best wishes

WD
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I would also recommend looking at a self drive safari in Namibia. I haven't done it yet but am leaving on Sunday and know that it can be done on a budget as long as you're willing to self drive.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM

If the budget is per person look at Elephant Plains in the Sabi Sand and Mashatu Tented Camp in Southern Botswana. Both locations will offer outstanding game viewing with professional guides and very nice accommodation for approximately $200 per person per night. These could easily be combined with some self driving in Kruger below that budget to extend your time. If you want the idealic deserted beach feel on pristine sands with phenomenal snorkeling and diving opportunities on some of the world's best reefs head to Mozambique which is convenient to do from Joburg. If you want beach nightlife its not the choice but to have miles to yourself on mindblowing islands it is the spot!

Early congrats on your anniversary/husband's birthday -- whatever choices you make you are going to have a wonderful time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -