Best way to fly to Morocco?

Mar 29th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Best way to fly to Morocco?

Hi, Did anyone find a creative and efficient way to fly to Morocco from the US? I recall some negative remarks about Royal Air Maroc so am looking for an alternative. Probably have to fly into Casablanca but would prefer to fly out of Marrakech. Connect through Amsterdam or Paris? Would like to avoid London and Frankfurt as connections. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Mar 29th, 2019, 12:36 PM

I spent time in Lisbon on the way, and then flew TAP to Casa. I flew out of Marrakech to Paris on Easyjet. I was booking my flights as separate legs, but I suggest checking TAP, I believe they are offering stopovers in Lisbon from the US now. And have you checked skyscanner?

Last edited by thursdaysd; Mar 29th, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
Mar 29th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Ian

We flew Paris - CDG to Marrakesh via EasyJet & Air Maroc from Essaouira to Paris - Orly. Both were fine. Also check Kayak & Expedia for options.
Mar 30th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing, Thursdaysd and Ian. I've read some better comments on Royal Air Maroc so may give them a try since they have more options. And, I didn't think of flying from Essaouira which would really help my itinerary...and yes, I'm looking as Skyskanner and Kayak but wanted to hear about your personal experiences.
Mar 30th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Ian

In the interests of full disclosure, here is my description of the Essaouira flight from my trip report:

The hotel had arranged a driver who had arranged a push cart guy to ferry our bags to the van. I was surprised to find out that the airport was south of Essaouira & we had passed it unknowingly on our drive in. So it was through the dune area that surrounds the town & past some lonely dusty cheap vacation hotels & condos to the très petit aéroport d'Essaouira. I had to stay in French since we were going to Paris. Check in was a breeze with next to no line since there was only one flight. One bag clocked in at 19.7kg & the other was 23.5kg. The Air Maroc woman didn't care. With Easyjet that would have been 64€.We filled out the Moroccan exit docs & talked with the official who was really friendly asking about our time & what we enjoyed. Of course, the suspicious side of me said it was a good profiling interview but maybe he was just being nice. We grabbed some cheap duty free including a bottle of rum for 7.50€! That was cheaper than a bar drink in Paris . . .

To make a long story short, the plane was late. The lounge filled with annoyed & annoying vacationers from France. Kids wailed & ran around as people argued & laughed & fidgeted with their carry-on. You know the scene. A corner of the lounge beside the eating area was deemed a smoking area. Who knows? No signs allowed or forbid it & no one cared. Oddly, the airport officials let some of the politer kids with their parents out on the tarmac to watch the flight taxi in when it finally arrived about an hour late. That wouldn’t happen in security wrought North America. The flight was relatively cloudy for much of the way but sometime after leaving Morocco’s coast, I did make out parts of undulating Andalusia below & later the Gironde estuary as France disappeared into twilight. And then we broke through the clouds over Paris & I spied the Eiffel Tower glittering amongst the lights of Paris.

And that brought a smile to both of us.
Mar 30th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Ian, sounds very atmospheric! I checked on leaving from there and it's out due to an extremely long layover in Casa which defeats the purpose.

However, I'm now on to the answer. Didn't realize there was a direct flight on Royal Air Maroc from Miami...had been checking IAD and JFK and ATL. So, riddle solved since I can drive to MIA and save a flight.
Mar 30th, 2019, 04:13 PM

That is great news for me about the RAM flights from Miami. I hope you will let us know how it goes if you do choose that route. I am always looking for a trip in the winter time beginning in Miami....so this sounds like a great option..maybe to combine with visit to Spain!!

Thank you so much for the heads up on this!! Are you based al year in south Florida? I'm here in winter months..
Mar 31st, 2019, 06:21 AM

I've flown to Casablanca several times from Chicago, including Delta/Air France via JFK and CDG and American/Iberia via MAD.

Personally, I'd focus on the connection time for your return flight when making a decision. It's been more than a year since I last flew to Morocco (and in that instance I flew directly into Marrakech) but I've found that the European connections on the way back to the US can be bad -- either too tight or forcing you into a 20+ hour overnight layover. When you look at the layovers, does that cause you to eliminate any of your options?

Personally, I've had no issues connections at CDG. However, if I were in your shoes I'd go the Air Canada route simply because I suspect your total travel time will be DRAMATICALLY shorter than a 2-stop flight.
Mar 31st, 2019, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi ekscrunchy, you're in FL too? I'm in the Naples area for 7 months in winter. Great place to be especially this winter! I'm flying to Morocco next April, but because it's too early for then, I was checking Air Maroc in May of this year to get an idea. They only fly a few days of the week: to Casa they fly on Friday, Sunday and some Wednesdays from MIA; coming back from Marrakech, they connect through Casa (only 2 hr and 20min layover) to MIA but only fly one day a week...either on Wed or Fri alternating weeks. So, it might be difficult to firm up an itinerary for a few months.
Mar 31st, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

HI kapia, thanks for sharing your flight experiences. You've flown there several times? That's encouraging as you must really enjoy it! I had considered flying through Europe to get there because I'd really like to fly into Tangier and then make my way south....would love to avoid the Casa airport which doesn't get very good reviews. However, now that there's a TGV train from there to Tangier that only takes 2 hours and 10 minutes, that sounds like a good alternative. Don't know yet if you can catch that train from the airport.
Apr 4th, 2019, 06:49 PM

I’m also in south Florida - full time in Boca. We are considering a trip to Morocco next year. Wondering how easy it is to get around on ones own, or if a tour would be better. For those of you familiar with me, we never take tours.
Apr 4th, 2019, 07:38 PM

I did a mix. On my own in Casa and Rabat at the beginning and Marrakech and Essaouira at the end, and an Intrepid tour for the rest. But no reason you have to use a tour. Trains and buses are fine for some areas, and you could arrange a car and driver for the rest.
Apr 5th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

hi dgunbug, funny how you and I seem to be planning a trip to the same region so often! Our bucket lists must be in a similar order!
Nov 24th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Barefoot & Ekcrunchy - check out reviews and safety rating of the Moroccan airline - I seem to remember that reviews are very bad. We will likely fly Tap air which we flew and enjoyed this year on our trip to Portugal. Beware though that they charge extra for more than one bag. We use 22 inch carry-on bags and a bag pack for extras and were not charged additional fees.

Barefoot - I believe I saw on another thread that you may use Tap. We loved Portugal. If you have several days in Lisbon, note that the highlight there for us were the day trips to Sintra (an easy 45 minutes by train) and a trip to the less popular, but outstanding Palace du queluz (IMO similar but even nicer than Versailles). The later is on the same train line about half way to Sintra, but plan on doing this on a separate day (1/2 day trip). Lisbon highlights can easily be seen I. 1 1/2 days.
Nov 25th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks dgunbug. We took a trip to Portugal about 30 years ago and Sintra was one of our favorite stops too. Since we only have 3 nights there (2 full days), we'll just concentrate on Lisbon. Have heard the city has changed so much for the better over the years. When we went, Portugal ranked low on the list of our favorite trips so I'm ready to upgrade it in my ranking.