Best time of year to visit

Feb 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Best time of year to visit

I have been dreaming of a trip to Africa for many years now, and it's almost time to start planning!! As a first-timer, I naturally want to do the safari thing (thinking Kruger Nat'l Park?) Victoria Falls and Cape Town for sure. My main concern is the heat. I do NOT want to experience 100 degree temperatures (I've lived thru that in Texas and couldn't bear it). We prefer traveling in the shoulder seasons.
I have also heard that Africa's spring or late fall are good for seeing animals while there are few or no leaves on the trees and that the dry season makes it easier to see animals because they are all trying to find water.
Keeping all this in mind, what would be the best month to visit???
Thanks,
Lisa
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM

For more temperate weather, I would suggest September or October for your destinations of choice.

Good luck.
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM

sept would be the best month temperature wise and game viewing wise. it is high season prices then though. some camps have yr round prices though so maybe check out one of those (mala mala i believe is this way).
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:10 AM
sandi

Agree with September or October for Vic Falls, especially Kruger where the heat will not have increase so much as to be uncomfortable. We visited end-November and while hot, also humid the mornings and late afternoons were comfortable and then downright nippy during early and late game drives. Though Capetown weather was perfectly ideal. However, if traveling September of October in Capetown it might still be chilly as weather would be similar to our "early spring" in the northern hemisphere of the northeast. But shoulder season is a good alternative to beat extremes in temperature.

Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

OK, sounds like Sept/Oct it will be!!!
Thanks for the advice...appreciate it! I'm sure I will be spending many hours here when it comes time to really start planning!
Thanks again!

Search this Thread