Balloon safari in Tanzania

Aug 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Balloon safari in Tanzania

Hi everyone -

I was debating whether to spend the money to reserve a balloon safari for our trip to Tanzania next July. I'm a little prone to motion sickness, so I don't know whether it would be worthwhile for me. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences to share about balloon safaris in Tanzania during that time of year?

Thanks!
Gerie
Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM

There are many threads here on Fodor's about this subject. Suggest you do a search in the box above... "balloon safaris" for these.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM

I loved my experience in the balloon! It will be cold in the pre-dawn hours, so make sure you have warm clothing along. I don't think you'll have problems with motion sickness. You ride on the wind, so you really don't have any sensation of motion, wind in your face, etc. Seeing the sunrise from the balloon is nice and also seeing the wildlife from a different perspective is interesting. You'll find that you are also part of "the show", with early morning game drive vehicles stopping to watch you float by. The landing can be bumpy, or not (ALL hot air balloon landings are crash landings, after all!) The breakfast out on the savannah afterwards is a special treat, too.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM

How much do they charge in the Serengeti? We just returned from the Mara and also agonized over whether to go on a balloon safari. At the last minute we decided to do it at because I was with my two teen sons and we had the chance of flying over the migration.

It was a cool activity, but in my opinion, too touristy and not worth the exorbitant price. Motion sickness is not an issue at all, but if you're afraid of heights, I would give it a pass (as did my husband...he smugly went on a game drive instead and saw two jaguars.)
Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM

oops - i meant leopards
Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM

that's what i get for posting while i'm on the phone!
Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM

I just did a balloon ride in the Serengeti this past June and it was $499. I don't think the price is exorbitant, given the cost of getting those balloons in the air, plus picking you up at your camp (our drive to get to the launch point was 1 hr), plus a nice breakfast afterward. Agree with others, motion sickness will not be a problem. I would not do it again if I return but am happy to have done it once. We booked it once we were there as we were not entirely sure we wanted to do it, so did not want to pay in advance of the trip. It worked out fine - you can pay with a credit card. In June, I did not think it was cold with just a light jacket.
Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM

And, the price for hot-air balloon in the Serengeti has gone up for 2011. Also, the price is higher in Tanzania than in Kenya's Masai Mara.

Search this Thread