ATMs in South Africa

Feb 17th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

ATMs in South Africa

I have just read in Fodor's that ATMs in South Africa only accept 5-number PINs. Is this correct? Should I change my 4-number pin to a 5-number pin before leaving the U.S.?
Feb 17th, 2007, 03:45 AM

We have a family member in South Africa right now (who got there 2 weeks ago), and I know he has used a 4 digit PIN on his card.
Feb 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM

it is not correct.

4 digit is fine.
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Hello,

Four-number PINs are fine in SA.

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the valuable information--you've saved me a lot of trouble and time. The item about the 5-number pin, which I read about in the 3rd edition of Fodor's South Africa, must be out of date!
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM

It's simple. The ATM reads the PIN on your card and compares it with what you have entered. Depending on the card, that could be 4 digits, it could be 5 digits.

That's always been the case in S.A. and while not a banking or ATM expert, I can't see how it could be any different elsewhere. So unless many years ago S.A. ATMs were initially programmed to only accept the local 5-digit cards, it would seem that the info in Fodors is not out of date, it's incorrect. And it would have to be many years ago. I can recall a U.S. visitor drawing money over ten years ago.
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:29 PM
santharamhari

I have no ATM experiences in SA....but, i would prefer to carry travellers cheques with me over going to the ATM to draw cash......

Hari