Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

At what lake do the huge masses of pink flamingos swarm.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the pictures of that. Where do they congregate and what is the best time to go? Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM

In Kenya, the Soda Lakes, Lake Nakuru is the most famous place.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 01:57 PM

There must be several. In Tanzania, Lake Natron is a breeding ground for lesser flamingos. I also saw many at the Momela Lakes. Don't know the best time - I was there in September.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM

These are some of the places in Kenya where you can see them in abundance -<BR><BR>Lakes Elmentaita, Nakuru, Bogoria, Magadi (remote area but fantastic)<BR><BR>In Tanzania - Lakes Natron, Manyara, Ndutu, Lake Magadi inside Ngorongoro crater<BR><BR>In Botswana and Namibia - Salt pans<BR><BR>Here is a bit of information on flamingo in Botswana:<BR><BR>The Makgadikgadi Salt Pans in northern Botswana is one of the most important breeding sites for Greater and Lesser flamingos in Africa. In years of good rainfall tens of thousands migrate to the inundated pans to feed and breed. Breeding success is dependant upon the period of inundation and the flamingos must lay their eggs and raise their young before the pans dry up in the winter season and the large flocks are forced to leave and return to their winter-feeding grounds once again. For years the origin of the flamingos that breed on the Makgadikgadi, has remained a mystery. A recent project, carried out on the Makgadikgadi last year, is only now answering some of the questions that surround flamingo movements from the salt pans and their migration patterns around southern Africa......Of the Greater flamingos that were tracked, one went to Walvis Bay on the Namibian coast, 1250 km west of Sua. The other flew to South Africa, 40 km from the town of Mafeking. Two of the Lesser flamingo migrated to Kamfers Dam, near Kimberly, in the northern Cape, while the third Lesser is still in Botswana, on a small pan 150 km from Sua Pan. <BR><BR>Numbers have exceeded 200,000 birds and the flamingos have been breeding very successfully since they arrived in January. The Lesser flamingos were the first to begin their breeding and by the end of January, numbers reached over 80,000 birds at their main breeding colony. This is one of the largest breeding colonies of Lesser flamingo in the whole of Africa, being second in size only to the breeding colony on Lake Natron in Tanzania. The Greater flamingo began their breeding later but numbers grew continuously throughout the season/ to become once again the largest breeding colony of Greater flamingos in Africa, with numbers exceeding 40,000 individuals. <BR><BR>Historically, it was thought that the two populations in East and Southern Africa are separate and that no regular interchange takes place. However, circumstantial evidence has been assembled that indicates East African Lesser Flamingos may fly to Botswana to breed during periods when the Lake Makgadikgadi saltpans are flooded. However, this has not been shown definitively and their flight paths, flight speed and stopover places are still unknown.<BR><BR>Normally, the Lesser Flamingo is not migratory in the accepted sense but is highly nomadic, moving daily in large numbers from lake to lake within the Rift Valley and amongst the saltpans of southern Africa. The reasons for these frequent movements are not understood.<BR>
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:26 AM

King, you're a truly fantastic font of knowledge!<BR>Do you know by any chance whether there will be any flamingoes in any of the smaller pans in the Makgadikgadi area during winter months - specifically in June?<BR>Kavey
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:45 AM

I would imagine that in June the pans in Botswana would have dried up and the majority of flamingo would have moved to the pans where there is water, perhaps in Namibia and South Africa.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:57 AM

That's what I suspected - was just wondering whether some tended not to move on or whether pretty much all do. I didn't book the stay in this area to see the flamingoes - because we tend to prefer winter temperatures I know we'll be unlikely to see them - will have to do a trip at a different time of year one day.<BR>Thanks King.