Arusha Lodging

Oct 7th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Arusha Lodging

We just finished a safari and Kili trek with Good Earth Tours. They had suggested the Impala hotel in Arusha for the pre- and post-trek nights. We should have listened, but based on reviews we saw on these forums, we saw that the Impala is decent ONLY if you get the new wing, if you're stuck in the old wing it sounded pretty bad.

Since Good Earth couldn't confirm us in the new wing at the Impala, we looked for other lodging and chose the Moivaro Coffee Lodge, about 15-20 km outside Arusha. It turned out to be the worst lodging of the entire trip, and unfortunately we had 3 nights there. I recommend avoiding this place, as it is a ripoff. The gardens were nice, but the pool is very murky, we wouldn't risk it. The rooms were barely adequate, lighting was poor, the bathrooms barely functional (problems with the toilet, lack of water pressure, running out of hot water, etc).

But the worst was the food. For some reason, though ALL other meals were included for the trek/safari, dinners in Arusha were NOT included in the package (regardless of which hotel was chosen). The Moivaro charged us $25 USD per person for a mediocre dinner. We heard from others on the trek, who stayed in Arusha (upscale Kibo Palace, which looked VERY nice) that they were charged only $15 for TWO people for dinner at their hotel, and their food apparently was much better. WHen we booked, Good Earth told us a cab from Moivaro to Arusha would only be about $5, but the lodge had posted a sign that it was $20! Since the Moivaro is way outside Arusha, far down a long very rough dirt road off the main road, you are stuck there with no choice but to pay their extortion prices - or not eat. Needless to say, when we returned there for the one additional night after our trek, we skipped dinner and ate granola bars and crackers in our room!

At the end of our trip, we did have a day room at the IMpala, and the food there was quite good, and ate forless than $20 for two people.
Oct 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info, we're touring with Good Earth in Dec/Jan. We're staying one night at the New Arusha Hotel when we fly from Uganda to Tanz, then we have a day room at the Impala prior to leaving for home. Did you hear anything (good or bad) about the New Arusha?
Oct 10th, 2007, 02:11 AM

Hi cat lover,

I stayed at the New Arusha Hotel in Oct. 2005 and it was a very pleasant property. I would rate it a cut above the Serenas. The rooms were well appointed, there are tropical gardens and comfortable outdoor areas and a pool surrounded by jacaranda trees.

Breakfast was good and the hotel is centrally located with views of Mt Meru from some rooms.

Cheers,

Pol
Oct 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with Mt. Village Serena.

Just MHO.
Oct 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM

If the NEW Arusha hotel is the one opposite the clock tower in the center of town, I just stayed there a few weeks ago. The hotel was very nice, very clean, very well appointed, and the Indian food that we ate in the bar/grill downstairs was excellent(we skipped the huge buffet in the main dining room, but it looked pretty good also). They also have a computer/internet office. The only problem was that I had been very excited to get out and see the town and experience the local scene, but we were really harassed by local merchants and crafts sellers whenever we set foot off the property. Being from NYC, we are used to bustle and confrontation, but this was just too much and too stressful, they simply would not take no or back off, we ended up just staying in the hotel the entire afternoon and evening.
One little tip--you need to put your room key into a slot inside the room in order to be able to turn on the lights. This also controls all of the power outlets, they won't work unless the card is in there. So if you are charging electronics/batteries/etc., and you take your card out of the slot to go out of the room, your stuff stops charging.....so ask for a 2nd card!!
Oct 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Having the lights and electric power activation by room key is very common in many countries, I've encounted it most often in Asia. Usually, pushing any sort of card or folded up paper down into the slot will work to trigger the switch and activate the power. I didn't see this system at any of my hotels/lodges in Tanzania though.
Oct 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM

It seems most new hotels worldwide use this cardkey system activating the power - lights, a/c, heating, etc. when entering or leaving ones room. Found this in hotels in Monaco in early 90s, in new properties in NYC about the same time.

If I recall correctly, the Panari Hotel in Nairobi, and maybe the Kibo Palace in Arusha had this.

I was surprised though that the beautiful Peninsula in Bangkok didn't, with all the bells & whistles those rooms had, it was amazing not to have. However, with the oppressive outside humidity, you'd die walking into a hot room. Maybe they've changed since '02.
Oct 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention a few other problems with the Moivaro Coffee Lodge. THe rooms had really dim, inadequate lighting. We could barely see well enough to repack our bags after dark. We know it wasn't a fluke, since we stayed in different rooms before and after the hike. Some of the rooms are standalone cottages, and some are attached (duplex), and those rooms are noisy. They didn't provide enough towels either. It claims to be a "luxury" lodge, but it was the only one which didn't greet us at the entrance with juice and a damp towel for wiping off the dust of the game drives. Avoid this place.
Oct 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Hi Catlover,

Since you will be going to visit Arusha, try Mt.Meru Game Lodge & Sanctuary, it hase nice view of Kili + animal sanctuary (It is recommended to be the only private Game Sanctuary in Tanzania) it is close to the JRO, you can do your O/N at the New Arusha Hotel and do the Day Room at this other place... www.intimate-places.com.

Worth trying it as New Arusha and Impala are both in town, if you are flying from JRO then its better to be loser to avoid long drives.

See if you like the place!!!, I hope all the lodges can do Day Rooms..

Cheers!!