Search

Arusha Hotel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arusha Hotel Recommendations

Hi All,
I need your help. We were going to stay at the Kia lodge our first night in Tanzania since we were arriving around 7:00 p.m. and needed to catch an 8:00 a.m. flight out of JRO the next morning. There was no reason to drive all the way into Arusha then drive back the next morning so thats why we chose the Kia lodge.

Our operator just informed us that the morning flight will now be out of the Arusha airport not JRO. So, he suggested that we book a place in Arusha. His 2 suggestions were the New Arusha hotel for a $15pp or $30 total adder and the Arusha Coffee Lodge for a $55 pp or $110 total adder. The latter seems kind of high.

What I am looking for is a decent hotel that will be a fairly close drive to the Arusha airport in the morning. Any suggestions? I need to let him know in the next day or so.

Thanks for your advice.
Duane
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Duane, we stayed at the Impala last year and plan to stay at Kibo Palace next year. The Impala was suitable for our overnighting needs...clean with decent food. The Kibo was just built last year. Sandi stayed there last year and is staying there again on her current trip.

Here's a short discussion from Sandi and Eben on the Kibo Palace and the Arusha Hotel:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

Kibo Palace: http://www.kibopalacehotel.com/

Eben's Arusha accommodations page:
http://go-safari.com/Arushamoshi/arushamoshilodges.htm
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Duane, I am fond of the Arusha Coffee Lodge option, as it is right around the corner from the Arusha airport. Nice accommodations, and has recently been renovated. The Impala? meh. As Calo said, suitable for an overnight, but you won't go away thinking anything of it. Granted, you will be only seeing your room in the dark hours....
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Calo for the reccomendations. The Kibo Palace looks pretty nice. Talking with my operator he said pretty much anywhere in Arusha would be OK, probably a 15 - 20 minute drive to the airport.

Andy, I think the Coffee Lodge is out, even though it looks great, considering the price and the length of time we will be there. If I had more time to enjoy it I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

Any other personal experiences for Arusha hotels that are "reasonable"?
Thanks,
Duane
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I've stayed at the Impala; it's rather bland and drab, but perfectly fine for one night if you're not choosey. We enjoyed the Indian restaurant there.

We have also stayed at Moivaro, but it's quite a ways out of town, so wouldn't be convenient for you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM

In February, we were bumped from the Arusha Coffee Lodge due to their overbooking and CC Africa took us to Kibo Palace instead. This is a new hotel and we had a terrific breakfast buffet. At the time the hotel did not have air conditioning, but other than than was satifactory.

Later our travel agent Ian Proctor from Ultimate Africa Safaris obtained a full refund for us from Arusha Coffee Lodge.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM

We stayed in the Impala in Feb on our first and last nights in Tanz. I think it really serves the purpose. We were not interested in paying big prices for facilities we would not have the oportunity to use since we arrived in the evening and left early the next day. On both occations our rooms were clean and comfortable.
J
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Does anyone have any feedback on Ngurduto Lodge in Arusha? I am currently booked here, but I have an option to switch to Kibo, Arusha Coffee Lodge, or Serena Mountain Lodge...Any recommendations?

I haven't focused too much energy on this particular portion of my trip b/c it is just an overnight en route to Tarangire for me...But, of course, I want to optimize my trip in every way. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Hi Duane,

May I ask what you ended up doing? We are faced with the same decision two days later for our flight into Lobo.

I think we are leaning towards keeping our night at Kia Lodge and then just dealing with getting up an hour earlier for the trip to Arusha for the flight - but am still mulling it over. was wondering what choice you guys ended up making.

Both our trips are coming up soon! Very exciting!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM

As above, Arusha Coffee Lodge is the closest to the Arusha airport, but it is expensive.

As it being only a 15-20/min drive from downtown Arusha to the airport... maybe. The road through town is crowded and can often take 30/min just to navigate this short stretch.

That said, though the Serena, Arumeru, Rivertrees, Onsea and Ngurdoto are on road between JRO/Arusha. In Arusha, you will find Kibo, Impala, Arusha Hotel which maybe more convenient even if you get tied up on that main Arusha street. Impala is the least expensive of the three.

Kibo doesn't have a/c, but the nights/mornings are cool, so we kept the screened windows open. They also have a cool-air machine which provides a bit more comfort, if needed. Otherwise, I really like this hotel for comfort and amenities.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Morgaine,
We ended up booked in the Arusha Hotel. I told the Narry to book us with someone they have a relationship with or are trying to establish a relationship with - I just don't want to pay anymore. Just need a clean bed, shower and breakfast. Shoot we probably won't get there until 8:30p.m. at the earliest and leave at 7:00 a.m. the next morning. The next night we will be at Kirawira so that will make up for it!

I learned long a go to put the longest "commute" the night before. I am always wide awake when I arrive anywhere so I use the first hour or so to get to where I need to go. I know it's not a lot, but the next morning I will probably want that extra 30 minutes of sleep and will be glad I made the drive the night before.

See you and Jose in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Duane